jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

To you, who is the most iconic character in American Literature?

1. hawkdad73 profile image68
    hawkdad73posted 6 years ago

To you, who is the most iconic character in American Literature?

2. StephanieBCrosby profile image84
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 6 years ago

Tough one. I wish I could answer in at least five different ways. But I am going to go with Holden Caulfield. I think so many, adolescents and adults alike, can sympathize and empathize with him. You can't beat his rebellious nature, especially when it comes to schooling.

3. Bretsuki profile image79
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

Atticus Finch, in Harper Lee's To Kill a Mocking Bird.

He stands up for the defenseless even when such a stance is unpopular. That is possibly the greatest ideal we have in our society.

4. Joe Friedman profile image86
    Joe Friedmanposted 6 years ago

I have to go with Tom Joad from Grapes of Wrath...we could use a guy like him today.

5. L. Spikes profile image90
    L. Spikesposted 6 years ago

I'm going to go with Huck Finn. Even those who have never read the book still know the name.

6. rjbatty profile image85
    rjbattyposted 6 years ago

I'd say Huck Finn is the most iconic.  Huck and Tom Sawyer are generally considered the Great American novels.  They seem like simple adventure stories but are loaded with Western symbolism.

7. stevarino profile image82
    stevarinoposted 6 years ago

Hmm, quite a few come to mind but I'm going to suggest John Galt of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. No wait, Poe's Raven!

8. E-Z-University profile image59
    E-Z-Universityposted 6 years ago

Jay Gatsby, from F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby"

9. JamaGenee profile image82
    JamaGeneeposted 6 years ago

I'll have to go with Holden Caulfield, too.  He was the role model for at least one generation, maybe more.  Doesn't get more iconic than that.

10. Der Meister profile image70
    Der Meisterposted 6 years ago

I'm going to go with Huck Finn, though there are others that warrant a good case.

11. kloydskii profile image61
    kloydskiiposted 5 years ago

Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird and Hester Prynne from The Scarlet Letter.