jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can you explain or offer any advice on writing a summary essay of a summary?

1. Seth McKinney profile image54
    Seth McKinneyposted 6 years ago

Can you explain or offer any advice on writing a summary essay of a summary?

2. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 6 years ago

A summary of an essay, I assume?

Been a while since I had to do this, but what I would do is break it down into key points that can be spelled out in a single sentence. Start with a goal of one sentence per paragraph, and look especially at the first sentence of each body paragraph (which should be the topic of that paragraph) and the last sentences of the first and last paragraphs (which should hopefully be the thesis statement and/or conclusion).

Make sure you focus on key points and minimize details and examples given. You'll probably need to keep a couple for clarity, but no more than one per point, and keep it in the same sentence if possible ("[point], such as [example].").

You may have to do more dissecting depending on the length of the essay and the length requirement for your summary, but again, your goal is to go down a level with each iteration. Chapters become sections, sections become paragraphs, paragraphs become sentences. Repeat as needed.

3. Seth McKinney profile image54
    Seth McKinneyposted 6 years ago

Well, we're supposed to read a summary essay and then write a summary of that summary essay. Thanks for the answer, I found it extremely helpful and will follow that layout.

4. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

I'm an English professor and I have several assignments which require summary.  I've written several Hubs on this topic which give futher details, but in general, you need to:
    1.  Read the summary essay and underline the topic sentences.
    2. Re-read what you underlined.
    3.  Put the underlined sentences in your own words.
    4. Re-read and add to this to make it smooth--you may need to add some transition sentence starters--first of all, next, finally (I have a Hub with a list of these).

5. profile image47
    Alex271posted 6 years ago

You can find here helpful tips custom-writing.org/blog/writing-tips/7029.html

working