jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do people vote down an answer that is civil and relevant to the topic?

1. Becky Katz profile image82
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

Why do people vote down an answer that is civil and relevant to the topic?

I got voted down on an answer to a question; that was on topic, researched, personal experience, and intelligent.

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

My guess is that it was one of two reasons. The first is that your answer, while thought out and relevant, was in direct opposition to someones social/political views. That's a common reason for battling up/down votes. The other reason is that they're just trolling people.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Becky Katz, I wish I knew the answer.  I think it may have to do with the person disagreeing with your position. I have had this same thing happen.  Someone asks a question, and I give my honest answer but it might not be what they agree with and then the little red arrows start to fly.

I have found questions about politic and religion are the worst.  There might be a question about Obama, and I might answer (respectfully) that I didn't vote for Obama and disagree with the policy - sure enough it will be voted down.

4. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 6 years ago

Wondering if at all possible that someone missed the mark and accidently voted down? Hoping that it was just a mistake. Other than that I would go with M.T. Dremer on the 'trolls' explanation. They are out there.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

I have noticed some strange down votes on answers lately, like someone is just going along and voting every answer down. Why would someone do that? I don't have a clue.

6. Wr1t3r profile image77
    Wr1t3rposted 6 years ago

All of the answers seem to fit. In the end what matters is that you share those educated researched thoughtful opinions so those of us who care can further our intelligence and hopefully those who don't will still learn something.

7. Ealair profile image59
    Ealairposted 6 years ago

I wonder if people are treating the system like a version of Yahoo Questions.

I gather the system works by people posting answers and the one with the most votes wins and the others are removed from view, or put on a different page so only the most relevant answer is made "important" for lack of a better word.

I find the political and social answers get the most votes up and down (what a surprise) though it is my personal opinion that the down arrows should be for answers that are rudely opposing another ("you're stupid," etc) or that hold no relevance to the topic.