Let's say you've finally completed a manuscript for review and you don't want to

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. ytsenoh profile image61
    ytsenohposted 12 years ago

Let's say you've finally completed a manuscript for review and you don't want to self-publish, and

you receive a nibble from an agent who wants to discuss your work and asks you if you have any questions.  What will your top two questions be?

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 12 years ago

Who has she or he represented in the past? What is his fee? How long will it take for her to get it to the hands of the editor? Is he or she familiar with the genre you wrote for? Can she edit your work to make it more attractive? How often do you have to meet to discuss your work?

3. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 12 years ago

What publishers do you intend to try first?  How much are they likely to pay?

4. Marturion profile image61
    Marturionposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't ask any question i couldn't look up for myself (first order of business, well before I call)  My two big questions would be... 1.)  How do you see us marketing my work and overall image as an author?  and 2.)  What contacts do you have in editing, graphics, distribution, and publication, etc. that can help us to bring my projects into the best possible light?

5. dlalvinson profile image61
    dlalvinsonposted 12 years ago

First question would be - "Why are you interested in me and my writing?"
    Second question would be - "Why do you feel my manuscript can sell?"

6. Craig Suits profile image62
    Craig Suitsposted 12 years ago

One...Do you charge a fee before you sell my book to a publisher? If the answer is yes, forget it. All reputable author representitives don't charge a dime until they sell your book. Then, they take 15% and no more...

Two...Ask them what the publishers are currently looking for. Books are like any other commodity. They publishers are only interested in what is currently selling which can change from month to month. If you have a book about Christmas, you might want to hold off trying to sell it until July or so...

7. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 12 years ago

Your two biggest priorities are whether or not they charge a fee prior to selling the book. If they do, they are a bad agent. Good agents get you published, then take a 15% cut of they money you make. If they ask for anything up front, politely decline their help. The second priority is knowing their catalog. Make sure they publish the kind of books you write. If you wrote a non-fiction political book and they only publish fictional romance, it is a bad fit. You want someone who has connections to publishers, editors and everyone else that is familiar with your genre and knows how to handle it properly.

8. Barnsey profile image70
    Barnseyposted 12 years ago

What will you require from me? As others will tell you do not accept an agent that wants to charge you. What publishers have you succesfully dealt with in the past? I ask this because if my genre is not something the agent usually deals with they may not have connections to a publisher that will be interested in me. Something to think about.

9. Hypersapien profile image45
    Hypersapienposted 12 years ago

How would you define our respective roles as writer and agent? 

How many - and what percenatge - of your clients became published authors under your watch?

10. GoodLady profile image91
    GoodLadyposted 12 years ago

Would the agent also be my lawyer?
    If not, who will be responsible for my eventual options contract?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)