How do you organize your personal library? And which volumes do you consider fou

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. buckleupdorothy profile image70
    buckleupdorothyposted 12 years ago

How do you organize your personal library? And which volumes do you consider foundational?

2. ar.colton profile image80
    ar.coltonposted 12 years ago

I organize my books by size so that it's the most esthetically pleasing. I considered alphabetizing (as I have done my dvds) but I get so much pleasure from browsing through my collection whenever I need to find something.

3. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

I organize them by areas like a library or book store. There is a romance section, psychology and philosophy, and then school books. So romance has alphabatized subtopics. Then school books are organized by semesters and years taken. The psychology and philosophy area are organized by age and personal reference.

4. JamaGenee profile image77
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

If I had as much shelf space as I need, I'd have my books organized by subject.  As it is, coffee table-size books anchor the bottom shelf of the one-and-only book case. The next shelf up holds genealogy reference books.  Above that is part of what I call "Jama's British Library" - hardback books about its kings and queens and other "royal" figures.  Above that are travel guides having to do with England.  Paperbacks are stored here and there in large baskets, by size not subject.  Everything else is stacked on a closet shelf and in under-the-bed boxes.  Every now and then I weed out anything I'm not particularly fond of and donate them to Goodwill.

5. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

I'm with JamaGenee on this one, if I had the bookshelf space that I need, everything would be organized by subject and alphabetically within that subject. Most of my books are large since the majority of them are medical textbooks. My metaphysical collection takes up three bookshelves alone. I really need more shelf space.

6. Diana Grant profile image90
    Diana Grantposted 12 years ago

Years ago I worked for some architects who showed me how to manage an ISBN system - organizing books by subject matter, like they do in libraries, with very detailed sub-divisions. With a small amount of poetic licence, that's how I have tried to organize my own books, with notable exceptions.

In my bedroom I have two whole shelves containing books I have the firm intention of reading quite soon - very mixed subject matter!  Then a few shelves of reference books, as I work on the computer in that room, and some non-fiction like psychology, sociology and philosophy. And a whole bookcase on true crime and forensic science.

In my hall I have a book case of poetry and drama, language learning (I've had a dab at the languages of almost every country I have visited), and my overflow of fiction paperbacks.

In my lounge I have hobbies - lots of books (many of these are oversized) on gardening, arts and crafts , cookery and lots more novels. I have a top shelf for leatherbound decorative antiquarian books, which I love to see, but don't actually read these days.

In my kitchen - just a few of the recipe books I am most likely to use.

Having run out of space, I then have numerous boxes of books, all containing just one subject type, such as politics, military and spies, science fiction, technical, business, and so forth, all duly labelled so that I can put my hands on them easily. The cardboard boxes are covered with a nice throw, so that they look less hideous, or piled up in my cupboard under the stairs.

I'm a real magpie when it comes to books. I don't have anything especially "foundational" as you put it, but maybe reference books on computer or language  subjects and a few classics and prize-winning novels,

7. Juliek958 profile image59
    Juliek958posted 12 years ago

Mine are organized by genre, then by author and finally within the author, by publishing date.  It works for me.

8. Sparklea profile image59
    Sparkleaposted 12 years ago

I live in a small house, too small for my books.  Some are in bins in the cellar, the recent ones I have purchased I keep on a separate shelf so that I know where to look for them.  I started keeping diaries at age eleven.  My childhood ones are in a bin.  Recent ones, from 1992 on, are neatly lined up on one shelf by year.  But the JOURNALS!  That is the real problem.  I have Vacation Journals, Writing Ideas Journals, "Things I Must Never Forget" Journals, and it goes on and on.

My husband thinks I should get ride of everything and start over.  I think it would be too traumatic for me.

My library (small writing room) is also filled with numerous notes of writing ideas.

I am slowly going through them...these are the ones I will start over probably.

I also have in a bin everything I have published in magazines in the past. 

I will consider myself organized when I know where everything is when I need something.  Blessings, Sparklea smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)