jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What was the natural disaster that occurred in "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy?

1. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

What was the natural disaster that occurred in "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy?

What do you think was the natural disaster that occurred in "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy?

2. theclevercat profile image95
    theclevercatposted 5 years ago

I thought maybe it was a collision of stars that caused the sun to explode.  No idea how that might happen scientifically, but that's how I figured it since McCarthy never really explained it except for a flash of light.

1. Dewey Stack profile image59
      Dewey Stackposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well, stars are essentially suns, so they cannot collide. But I like the whole space-based natural disaster concept. Suppose the disaster were to occur on the moon, thus wrecking Earth's climate, water levels and weather cycle?

3. Aley Martin profile image80
    Aley Martinposted 5 years ago

Was it not a nuclear war? Seemed to be that many suffered from some sort of toxic poisoning.

4. profile image55
    Daynonfposted 3 years ago

It seems to be either an asteroid collision or a major volcanic event.  Perhaps the volcano under Yellowstone.  In either case, there would be worldwide wildfires and the sun would be blocked out perhaps for decades.

1. Dewey Stack profile image59
      Dewey Stackposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Would the rest of the world be as devastated as the United States?

5. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 months ago

A super-volcano like Yosemite or Thera. They create a years long winter. If you want something even bigger and world-shattering, imagine a series of eruptions like the ones that created the massive lava plains in Siberia suggesting hundreds of eruptions over decades pouring ash into the atmosphere and covering an area the size of a nation in lava.

working