jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Anyone here have a book published? This process is so long it's annoying me

1. JessMcCray profile image59
    JessMcCrayposted 5 years ago

Anyone here have a book published?  This process is so long it's annoying me

2. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

I think it depends on how you're going about it and what genre you're writing in.  For book-length pieces, if you are writing non-fiction or literary fiction, the protocol is to get an agent, not submit to publishing houses directly.  If you're writing science fiction or fantasy novels, publishers often take manuscripts directly from writers.

But if you're writing short stories, you can just submit those directly to magazines. All in all, it often takes months to get a response, and often longer to get an acceptance. 

Some people do pretty well with self-publishing, which bypasses all that. But then the hard part is not getting your work accepted but marketing yourself and trying to get sales through word of mouth and reviews. 

Keep at it is all I can say, and good luck!

1. JessMcCray profile image59
      JessMcCrayposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My book was accepted by a publisher I just have to wait another 5 months to see it in print.  They got my final manuscript a month ago - I'm just impatient

3. Dennis AuBuchon profile image84
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 5 years ago

I have two books published.  It is a process which requires research to find the right publisher for the book you have written.  There are many good publishers available to authors today and there are those who will take advantage of authors.

I have self-published both of my books and I like the fact that they never stop being available and that I have control over the content.  It was a lot of work but the feeling I had when the first book was published could not be expressed in words.  The second book I had the same feeling.  The problem is not getting books published but getting them recognized.  Today there is much competition and your book must offer something different than others on the same subject.

4. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I have published nine books, mostly with major houses like McGraw-Hill and Entrepreneur Press. Now, I'm working on self-publishing. I find both processes wonderful. Feel free to email me about  your frustrations, if you like.

5. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 5 years ago

I've published 6 e-books, working on 7, 8 and 9 at the moment. smile

working