jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What draws you to a book?

1. songbirdmom profile image60
    songbirdmomposted 5 years ago

What draws you to a book?

is it the picture on the front or the summary on the back??  Is it the suggestion of a friend??

2. sugz profile image73
    sugzposted 5 years ago

depends, sometimes its cos ive read a book by the author in the past, therefore i look for more books by that person if i had really enjoyed the first one.. other times its the title.. sometimes the title has an impact on the mind it makes you want to read it regardless of what is written on the back cover... but then, there is also the picture of the cover.. it it looks appealing, i'll pick it up, but usually, its just the author i know or the title of one i don't.

3. Steven Gray profile image85
    Steven Grayposted 5 years ago

I am drawn to the strength of the summary more than the picture.  Both are forms of advertising, but I look for books with unique plots.

4. sangre profile image97
    sangreposted 5 years ago

The book cover first and then the summary on the back of the book.. If I read it and it seems good, then I'll get it.

This is how I discovered one author Sarah Addison Allen. Her book cover was unusual and caught my eye. Then I read the back of the book and loved the story.

Plus if I've read the author before and like their work then I'm a fan for life. :-)

5. teddi6 profile image75
    teddi6posted 5 years ago

Subject matter is a major motivator for me to want to read a book.  I have to be interested in the material in order to stay with it and finish it. Author recognition usually gets my attention, but it's not as important as what the book is about. 

I don't often listen to recomendations from others because my taste is so eclectic and I like so many different authors.

working