jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Do you ever consult a Thesaurus when writing?

1. DanaTeresa profile image83
    DanaTeresaposted 5 years ago

Do you ever consult a Thesaurus when writing?

2. Karmallama profile image78
    Karmallamaposted 5 years ago

I think that I consult a thesaurus for almost everything. I had a pocket one that got so used it fell apart. Now, I thank heavens for the synonyns option in microsoft word. My personal opinion is that it is one of the most important tools a writer can have

3. WebsiteConfetti profile image65
    WebsiteConfettiposted 5 years ago

I often consult a thesaurus, well Microsoft Word's version of one anyway.

4. Hyphenbird profile image92
    Hyphenbirdposted 5 years ago

Yes I do. I find it handy and my word choices are better. This is a competitive business and I want to be seen as a professional. Using tools like a thesaurus is wise and pays off.

5. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

Yes, It is a book that I keep on my desk and on my iphone for reference. If needed, I will go online and search for a word options as well.

6. ccornblatt profile image90
    ccornblattposted 5 years ago

The only time I use a thesaurus, or the synonyms option, is when I am thinking of a certain word but cannot quite find it. The thesaurus can help to jog my brain so I can find the word I was looking for. I think it is best to use the words that first come to mind because they are often those best fit for the job. I have read many papers where people have obviously looked up synonyms and didn't know what the word meant but used it anyway. This can make someone look very unprofessional, so I don't recommend using any words that you have not heard or seen in context or that you are not sure you have a firm grasp of.

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I don't do it often but if I find I am overusing a word, then I will check to see if there is some word I haven't thought of.

8. carter06 profile image81
    carter06posted 5 years ago

Absolutely, all the time on my computer when writing, it's my most used writing tool.

9. teyeger82 profile image76
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

I do because I often find myself using the same word repetitively. I am often able to come up with words that read better anyway.

10. joanwz profile image72
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

Absolutely. It's one of my favorite writing tools. Helps me find the words with just the right nuance.

11. profile image0
    Duchess OBluntposted 5 years ago

Often.  It's one of my favourite tools.  Sometimes there is a word just in the back of my head.  I know it.  But for some reason it resists my memory probes.  Using a thesaurus is usually my last resort.  And almost always works

12. networmed profile image60
    networmedposted 5 years ago

I do, specially that English is not my primary language.