jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What is the best tool that a new writer should have?

1. calico Stark profile image60
    calico Starkposted 6 years ago

What is the best tool that a new writer should have?

I would like to hear about what tools old school and high tech that help you with your writing?

2. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 6 years ago

A pen. A thesaurus. notebooks. Fowler's 'Modern English Usage'. A good library of favorite books. Hub Pages.

3. kmainka profile image60
    kmainkaposted 6 years ago

(I think this should apply to any writer- new or old.) A plethora of tools- Pens, pencils, notebooks, a computer, one REALLY good dictionary, and one REALLY good thesaurus.

I enjoy having multiple types of writing utensils because it helps me during my writing process. It may be strange, but there are days when I can only focus while using a laptop, whereas mostly I can only focus whilst using pen and paper. That being said, there are even days where I HAVE to write in pencil, or I HAVE to write in black ink. It simply depends on the mood.

Stress balls and slinkies are also great tools- While you obviously can't physically write with them, they help with the writer's block.

The last, and most important things every writer MUST have (And yes, this part is VERY cheesy...but true!)   You need to have an active imagination and some kind of passion.

If someone doesn't have those last two "tools," they will never be able to get anywhere with their writing.

4. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Paper pad and a pen or pencil is useful for writing.

5. SylviaSky profile image93
    SylviaSkyposted 6 years ago

Old school: mastery of grammar and punctuation
    New school: online writing workshops and classes

6. profile image0
    Saugasfinestposted 6 years ago

Imagination, Inspiration, Desires and Dreams

Your mind is the best tool you can have. The rest are simply tools used for getting those ideas out from there and onto paper.

7. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

I agree with all of these suggestions of course but I would also add a couple of very important things. 

The first being a BACKUP SYSTEM - why am I screaming that in all caps? lol It's very important to always have multiple copies of your work.  Hard drives fail, flash drives get lost etc.  Always have at least one and preferably two ways to backup all of your work.  Nothing is as heartbreaking as forgetting this rule and losing 2/3 of a manuscript and other pieces due to sudden and irreversible hard drive meltdown.... ask me how I know this - sigh...

Also, I would recommend a mind mapping software for organizing ones thoughts and ideas.  This works well for both fiction and non-fiction writers.  There is a freeware version called "FreeMind" that I absolutely adore and it has inspired a lot of ideas that I may have glossed over or not thought of otherwise.

8. Rolly A Chabot profile image85
    Rolly A Chabotposted 6 years ago

The eyes to our own souls and to be able to share life experience in a way to open the eyes of the reader.

In the Techie aspect of things I have been using a program called Scrivener 2.2 and have found it to be the best. Constant back up. It has all te tools I need to keep things organized on one page.

9. DIMIR profile image82
    DIMIRposted 6 years ago

Harsh friends willing to tell you if something doesn't work well, preferably writers.  An editor of some sort, be it strangers on the internet.  Learn from experience.  You have to learn your audience's taste so as to cater more directly.  Study and write, sleep, eat and then write some more.

10. mahmood1985 profile image55
    mahmood1985posted 6 years ago