jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Is there ever a good time to completely give up on someone? If so, when is that

1. tyliz19 profile image60
    tyliz19posted 5 years ago

Is there ever a good time to completely give up on someone? If so, when is that time?

2. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 5 years ago

No, you will both suffer.  People can realise the error of their ways eventually. Wouldn't it be great if the old adage all is well that ends well, applies.  What is there to lose by always allowing a door that s shut with the possibilty of it being opened.  This is being human; The rewards can be endless.

recommended Reading : The Guest House
    by rumi

tyliz19posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I agree with you that a door should always be allowed to open. I will have to check out that book

3. Catherine Kane profile image81
    Catherine Kaneposted 5 years ago

Yes.

One example- if that person hits you.

While there is always the possibility of someone repenting and changing their ways, in most of the situations  the hitter only gets more and more violent, and women (and men) have been severly injured or even died because they kept giving the "repentant" hitter one more chance until it became too late...

In these cases, if the hitter says sorry, they're often sincerely repentant at the moment, but whatever in their psyche is broken enough to let them hit a loved one a first time tends to activate again.

If he( or she) hits, get out.

tyliz19posted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is a good point. I am a firm believer in id there is violence in any way then you need to get out.

2. Catherine Kane profile image81
      Catherine Kaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There are other good reasons where you need to let go, acknowledge that the person is who they are and that won't change, and get out for your own safety, health or well-being; but violence is one of the clearest examples.

working