jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What is so hard about pronouncing the last name Stuckey?

1. brittvan22 profile image82
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

What is so hard about pronouncing the last name Stuckey?

I have had this wonderful last name for 28 years and I have heard so many variations (incorrect might I add) to saying the simple name Stuckey. There was Stuckley, Stookey, Stockley, etc. STU-CKEY, crying out loud. There is no O or L or OO, simply Stuckey, like the candy. smile

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

There is no problem, you have to let people know how you would like it pronounced.  For those who have seen it written down or heard it pronounced correctly, there is no excuse for added letters, as in the 'l'.  On seeing it written down, I would pronounce it with a short 'u' as in stuck,.  It wouldn't occur to me to use Stu-ckey because in England, to make that sound we would put an 'a' after the 'u', as in Stuart.you may prefer a long vowel as in the 'oo' sound.  Here in the UK we once had someone in politics whose name was Home, he pronounced it Hume.  It's the way of the world.  I once workedd with a lad named Eamon, he suggested people named him Ray, because  he said 'Not many people can say Eamon.'
    My reply was 'ok, Eamon, I'll call you Ray.'

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

lol - my last name is Sander - everyone and I mean MOST people, even many who have known me most of my life still tack an S on the end wink It doesn't bother me anymore because I've just resigned myself to that being how it is.  I certainly don't see your name being that hard to pronounce so that is kind of strange.  Certainly some interesting variations there smile

1. MickS profile image70
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ah, my last name is Saunders, I've been called Sanders and one person called me Saunder.  The dropped 's' was how he pronounced my name. Someone even pronounced it Say-unders.

4. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 5 years ago

Well, I have a foreign name.  Technically, my name is spelled Rika.  It's not pronounced that way.  It's Japanese, and most people think Japanese can't say L...  It's a myth.  So no, it's NOT "prease" rather than "please", It's "ploblem" as opposed to "problem".

The Spaniards translated the language to the western alphabet.  The Spanish "r" is flicked, as opposed to the "rr" which is rolled.  The Japanese "l" is flicked, making the closest letter in Spanish their flicked "r".  But the English language doesn't flick "r".  So the closest letter is "l".

Anyway, when they see the spelling, I hear half calling me "Rika" rhymes with "Rita".  The other half calls me "Ricka", rhymes with "Flicka".  No, I'm NOT a feminized Rick, thank you.  I am not related to any.  And no, it's NOT Rika like Rita.  It's Lika, rhymes with Lita, NOT Flicka w/o the F...  I don't lick anybody, okay?

The frustrating thing?  When I call my doctor's office, I tell them my name is Lika, spelled r-i-k-a, and they call me Rika....  Can they hear?  Or are they just THAT unprofessional that they don't care?  Thing is, most people don't even understand this, and keeps wanting to refer to Mr. Roboto.  I keep telling them no, it's NOT "domo arigato".  It's "a-lee-gah-toe"  And don't drag the ee too much, the length in the song is correct, but don't make it so short that the ee sounds like i...

*sigh*.  Sorry for the rant...

working