jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why are there less number of people who read short stories?

1. poojasd7 profile image60
    poojasd7posted 5 years ago

Why are there less number of people who read short stories?

I have observed that there are a few people who read the short stories on hubs. Do they lack patience to read them or the format of hubpages deter them from reading such lengthy texts?

2. sweetzara profile image79
    sweetzaraposted 5 years ago

Good Question. I have often wondered the same.

I think that the format of hubpages is best suited for short articles, preferable non-fiction hubs that are google friendly... i.e. content that people around the world are searching for. eg. "How to" hubs.

Google is the monster that drives traffic to your hubs. Mostly short stories and other fictional hubs are read by a few hubbers but not many actively seeks it out or search for it. Thus, fiction material is not google friendly. Also, perhaps people prefer to browse through ebooks on kindle etc. for their fictional fix.

So if you are on hubpages to make money and get as many eyeballs as possible, fiction and short stories may not be the best idea. But if you just want to write short stories because you enjoy writing them, by all means go ahead and write them. You will surely find a small but avid bunch of readers here on hubpages.

1. poojasd7 profile image60
      poojasd7posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Sweetzara for enlightening me :-)

3. Becky Katz profile image85
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

I read the short stories almost exclusively. I think that the stories having to be split up to be read inhibits a little but mostly, I don't think people have time to read stories anymore. If they do, they get away from the computer and grab a book or their Kindles. Flash fiction seems to be fairly popular.

4. Ushnav profile image60
    Ushnavposted 5 years ago

One reads stories that interests and tingles one's mind senses and make him/ her look forward to reading it. I am a big-time-fan of short stories and personally, there is nothing that'd put me away from one.