jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (26 posts)

When was the last time you've actually hand-written a letter to someone and mail

1. rutley profile image76
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

When was the last time you've actually hand-written a letter to someone and mailed it?

No keyboard and no email!  I wonder just how many folks do not do this anymore.. Especially for elderly family members that would just love to get a REAL letter or note.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

That would have been in 1990-1994 while my Brother was in the Navy.

1. msorensson profile image72
      msorenssonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

At least you remembered....

2. Tonipet profile image84
      Tonipetposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You're so right msorensson. It only takes to remember, I'm with you a 100%.

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!!

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

About the begining of July, when I wrote and sent a painting to one of my mates.  I always hand write personal letters

Ohh..awesome..
      I always hand write personal letters

4. galleryofgrace profile image82
    galleryofgraceposted 5 years ago

I still write personal letters to family and close friends. Many people do.  A typed letter is impersonal and against proper etiquette. Typed letters show that you didn't care to take the time to make it a warm, friendly letter. Hand written letters are welcomed as something that has meaning.

Indeed....

5. profile image0
    Jade0215posted 5 years ago

I've never written a letter to anyone but I guess that's because I was born during a time when actual written letters were deteriorating. My mom still does it though but not as frequently as she use to.

6. Georgie Lowery profile image95
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

My daddy refuses to get a "dot com," so I write him snail mail a lot. I write his sister sometimes, too.

1. Tonipet profile image84

Lucky your Dad and Aunty they have you, Georgie. Thanks for preserving this original art.

7. Efficient Admin profile image94
    Efficient Adminposted 5 years ago

It was last summer when I received a get-well card from someone after my surgery.  I sent them a Thank You note for thinking of me and I wrote about 2 paragraphs. Back in the 90s I would send handwritten letters through the mail system quite often. I still pay bills by check and use a stamp to mail them! I actually enjoy writing letters and checks!

8. joanwz profile image77
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

I admit, it's been a few years. I have a few I need to write now. Thanks for the reminder.

9. Diana Lee profile image83
    Diana Leeposted 5 years ago

I try to write to my aunt and uncles every month. Sometimes I enclose a story I wrote. They don't use computer's and they are my best audience. It's the only way they would see things I've published online.

10. Rod Marsden profile image75
    Rod Marsdenposted 5 years ago

Last week would be my answer. I have been corresponding with a New Zealand author now for about twenty years. I mostly hand-write my correspondence to her. Since I don't have a laptop and work involves a lot of travel on the train I tend to hand-write letters. I plan to send off a bunch of hand-written letters to other friends in the next few days.

1. Tonipet profile image84

Hi Rod. You're so wonderful... I wish I could do the same:smile

11. Tonipet profile image84
    Tonipetposted 5 years ago

I couldn't exactly remember. Wow, I just realized how long I have set this aside. I used to send hand-written letters...now I rely on email. Thanks for this beautiful reminder rutley, it could've been a lot more heartily the other way around. This is the most beautiful question for me.

12. jolinabetts profile image83
    jolinabettsposted 5 years ago

2 months ago, i've sent my husband a letter and a card through registered mail. When my grandma was still alive, i wrote her letters every single week since i was 5. She died when i was 32 years old. I wrote my last letter for her and inserted it in her coffin.

13. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Good question. I suppose it was after New Years' Eve in 2009. I wrote someone a thank you card.

14. MsDora profile image96
    MsDoraposted 5 years ago

I do regularly to my mother once a month.  Don't know if I would if she had a computer.  However, I do miss the hand written letters and all they stand for -- the time, the fancy paper, the stamp, anticipating the postman.

15. mtkomori profile image88
    mtkomoriposted 5 years ago

About a month ago, but that was because I didn't know the acupuncturist's e-mail address and I didn't feel like discussing the issue on the phone. I told him to change the treatment procedure for my back problems because I wasn't responding to the treatments.

16. Patty Kenyon profile image75
    Patty Kenyonposted 5 years ago

Not that long ago...maybe a month.  My dearest Aunt loves to send Handwritten cards or letters in the mail and I honor her by doing the same.  I feel it is much more personal than just sending an e-mail or text message.  Handwriting has a way of showing emotion and personalizing our feelings.  Good Question!!!

17. Deborah Brooks profile image79
    Deborah Brooksposted 5 years ago

I buy birthday cards and i write notes in them..does that count? This reminds me i need to wrote person letters. But soi many people have e mail....

18. kj force profile image74
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

I  hand write a letter every other week to my Aunt, who is 89 years old  and doesn't have a computer...I usually include a sketch from my G-children.....
    Thank you notes are always hand written also...I do this on a regular basis...and encourage all my G- children, to get in this habit....the art of hand-writing is disappearing quickly and with children not necessarily learning cursive writing in school and relying on computers for everything it's scary...what if we lost electricity or technology glitches...we'd be in deep dodo....just my thoughts...
    Excellent question.....

19. Cassie Ann profile image60
    Cassie Annposted 5 years ago

Actually I do this on a monthly basis. Three of my four sons have left our home state for careers/college and usually I send a package off to one of them with a letter included.

working