Do you prefer to receive a letter or an email?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 51 discussions (87 posts)
  1. sparkleyfinger profile image86
    sparkleyfingerposted 11 years ago

Do you prefer to receive a letter or an email?

Personally, I love getting a hand written letter or postcard from friends. What are your opinions? In the days of facebook, skype and emails, snail mail is growing to be a distant memory. I wonder if there are any people out there who, like me, try to do things the old fashioned way and write letters back and forth?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7931355_f260.jpg

1. Jaye Robinson profile image60
      Jaye Robinsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I agree. I am "retro" too. I love hand written letters.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I really do prefer e-mail. It is faster of course and much more reliable.

sparkleyfingerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

but often lacks the sentiment of time taken to write your feelings down... eg.. a love letter.. deffo wouldnt want a love email. obviously for sending masses of facts or arranging a meeting, Id use email... but penpal stuff... deffo letter. thanks smile

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

3. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 11 years ago

A hand written letter.......................................................

1. MickS profile image59
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I spose I should qualify that to, for business, any old type written or email will do. from friends and family, hand written letters are preferable, I always send them hand written letters, except in emergencies.

2. sparkleyfinger profile image86

Yeah, definitely! It's also always nice to see a letter land on your door that isn't a bill!

3. profile image49
      taherkhanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

biio ok

4. Pennypines profile image60
    Pennypinesposted 11 years ago

while e-mails are an instant convenience,  I find them full of abbreviations (BTW) and mis-spellings in some cases even objectionable language. 
    People tend to be much more careful in their written communications.   So yes, I prefer the old fashioned way, patronize our Postal System, and in some cases protect history.

i wholeheartedly agree!!! to think that in some cases, even birthday cards are replaced by ecards.. it saddens me!

5. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Letter. It's usually handwritten and means a ton more than just a regular, quick email.

:-)

2. profile image49
      chanchal05posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bfour email  letter depen of men

3. profile image49
      taherkhanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

balo

6. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7932824_f260.jpg

I prefer to receive nondigital (hard copy) snail-mail or if you will, a traditional hand written somewhat weathered letter or postcard. I can imagine it being similar to receiving a present at Christmas... Perhaps comparatively speaking it would be like this: snail mail is to anticipate as e-mail is to devalue...

I agree! I think letters also allow events to build up! There are so many insane updates on, for example facebook like " just washed my hair" I'm like, good for u, but why tell us? At least with a letter, it includes the important stuff :-)

7. georgialgal1984 profile image82
    georgialgal1984posted 11 years ago

A letter, they are more personal and a rare gift these days.

I agree. I actually have pen pals who I solely speak to via letter. Brightens my day :-)

8. Beata Stasak profile image77
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

I am still writing and receiving letters from my elder relatives and friends and it is priceless but time consuming and irregular. I receive emails everyday from the people close to my heart but long distance away and it is reassuring and it have become very important to me to be able to hear from them every day:)

I agree, email is a great way to keep in touch across the miles!

9. cloverleaffarm profile image68
    cloverleaffarmposted 11 years ago

I prefer to send and receive a letter or card. It is so much more personal. Old fashioned is good!

Yes, plus it keeps us all in the habit of hand writing! :-)

10. Globetrekkermel profile image63
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

Recieving a letter with stamp on it conjures some romanticism in today's standards.I am kinda romantic and I always appreciate recieving a letter or postcards these days and I keep them for keepsakes.With email being so impersonal and robotic, recieving a nice letter in your post box is always a treat.

I agree. I have a huge stash of keepsake cards and notes that are always good to look over later smile

11. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

It doesn't really matter to me. Just hearing from an old friend or family is nice either way. However, I wish I would stop getting tons of junk mail I have to weed through to get to the good stuff.

12. anniebetty profile image60
    anniebettyposted 11 years ago

I have always loved getting mail.  I prefer to get mail out of my mailbox, which sits 300 feet down a gravel driveway.  It's a beaten up old thing.  The local high schoolers think it's fun to drive by and whack it with a bat.  I love stamps.  I love opening the envelope.  I love reading whatever is inside. 

Emails don't thrill me nearly as miuch.  Emails are quick and convenient; for that reason, I think we have allowed communication to be quick.  We text and email in a shorthand that has done us no favors.

When someone writes me a letter it involves an investment of time and energy that is not necessary with an email.  It takes time to find paper and a pen; it takes time to buy a stamp and fill out an envelope.  It takes time to get that letter to the post office.  When someone spends that kind of time thinking about ME?

Wow.  That IS cool.

sparkleyfingerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That sucks!! I do feel honoured whenever I get a letter :-)

13. rai2722 profile image60
    rai2722posted 11 years ago

E-mail please. Much faster and supposedly it won't fall to the wrong hands.

1. anniebetty profile image60
      anniebettyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Be careful about that.  Any savvy computer nerd can hack into your email, and if you send your email from work, anyone with access to the server can read it.

2. sparkleyfinger profile image86

True! And one click of a button and everything is lost :-(

14. Felicia Carrillo profile image59
    Felicia Carrilloposted 11 years ago

Nothing beats a good ol fashioned hand written letter!

15. ocbill profile image54
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

I like letters versus emails from people I know.

16. Chris Achilleos profile image78
    Chris Achilleosposted 11 years ago

I love writing letters for the people I love. I find it much easier to express my self in writing rather than verbally so I tend to write.
    Therefore, I would rather receive a hand written letter as it has a more sentimental meaning.
    Emails are just a bit cold (depending on who is sending it of course).

17. Angela Kane profile image59
    Angela Kaneposted 11 years ago

I prefer letters by email because it's quicker, but I prefer birthday or holiday cards in the mail. They mean more to me when I can hold them.

18. dorothy0328 profile image76
    dorothy0328posted 11 years ago

As for a preference I really don't think it matters to me personally. All though if you are sending me a letter through the post office it may take a few more days then an email to get to me however it is more personal, it cost you money and hopefully you sent my birthday card this way.. (Hope you remembered the blank check.. LOL) However if its just junk trying to sell me something by all means please feel free to email it to me as I will probably not receive it or even open it as I don't really care to check my email unless I am expecting something. And even though I may check my email more often then you think don't think for a second that you have not been filtered into the junk folder. So to answer your question its probably better to send me something in the mail as I'll be happy to get it especially if it comes from a home address and not a bill collector. Sending an email is faster but there is no gaurentee that I will receive it any faster unless you think ahead and call me first telling me it's on the way and where it is coming from.

very good points! I'm terrible for not checking my inbox!

19. Kevin Peter profile image59
    Kevin Peterposted 11 years ago

when I used to get hand written letters a few years ago, I didn;t give it much importance or value. But now in this modern era I feel like getting a hand written letter from someone.

I agree Kevin! Everything is too computer orientated! A nice letter once in a while is refreshing!

20. JimTxMiller profile image76
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

Lord knows I have too much paper in my life as it is! Put it in an email or text.

21. ytsenoh profile image61
    ytsenohposted 10 years ago

Hand-written letters certainly have become a thing of the past with our former generations, although it's still traditional with some life events like wedding invitations, but that said, we have "evite" now that could replace it.  I prefer receiving something in the post that is hand-written.  I collect postcards, so I love it when I receive one from somebody.  Everything is electronic now, even the Court systems are electronic on both state and federal levels.  In the workplace, I don't miss carbon paper.  I do miss all the stationery I used to buy.  I still write hand-written notes.  Now, it makes it that much more meaningful when you receive a letter in the post.

22. Ayu Bi profile image86
    Ayu Biposted 10 years ago

E-mails are better because it saves us from wasting paper especially for work purposes but of course, I'd rather receive a traditional letter from my loved ones. I even kept the notes my friends and I pass around each other when we were still going to school smile

So I guess you just choose what kind of letter to give depending on the situation.

23. aminahchahine profile image57
    aminahchahineposted 10 years ago

I prefer to write letters on stationary in long hand; it is much more relaxing, personal and shows you care enough about the person to do so. However, I find that writing e-mails, or even a word document is a lot faster, easier and spell-check is wonderful.

24. Jared Miles profile image69
    Jared Milesposted 10 years ago

I think there is a time and situation for each. If there's something important I need to know, I'd obviously prefer to have it quickly. However, I appreciate the thought and care that goes into a handwritten piece of mail.

Even if it were the bills, for some things I just prefer to have a physical memento I can hold in my hands. Plus I think you can convey a lot more emotion with a letter.

I prefer having bills in hard copy too, it ensures that I have proof of payment in hard copy! I know I really should print confirmations, but I never do! Lol

25. kevinwrites profile image59
    kevinwritesposted 10 years ago

Although I usually receive emails, I'd much rather read and write handwritten letters. If someone sends me a handwritten letter in the mail, I know he or she truly spent time and thought while writing.

Writing letters also reminds me of younger days in grade school. Then, email, Facebook, and Sype weren't as popular, if they existed at all.

26. livinggood profile image60
    livinggoodposted 10 years ago

I would always prefer a letter over an email. There is so much excitement when you receive a handwritten letter. It means more, because you know that someone really went to a lot of trouble to get it to you.
    An email however can be done in minutes and takes no real effort at all.

27. pimpmyberry profile image57
    pimpmyberryposted 10 years ago

Now is the age of information technology and it is easy to connect internet and check your mails. But I also love to receive letters from people.

28. Foivos Manoloudis profile image61
    Foivos Manoloudisposted 10 years ago

Nowadays,in the Internet age,letters seem kind of antique.I don't like because I prefer modern ways.E-mailing is much easier.because communicating with the rest of the world has now become a matter of minutes.(I'm 15 so I suppose my opinion is natural)

29. jepstoryline profile image64
    jepstorylineposted 10 years ago

Letter writing and sending cards is becoming a lost art, We should keep mailing cards  land letters alive. It is a nice way let friends and loved ones know we care.Emails are for day to day business not for private notes to those we love and care about.

Deffos! I have a few pen pals, and I don't really speak to them on fb or anything, other than to apologise for taking a wee while to respond! Revive snail mail!!

30. TheKatsMeow profile image89
    TheKatsMeowposted 10 years ago

great question! I always prefer getting a letter in the mail over an email. It's a lot of fun and seem more important. I used to get birthday cards in the mail, and I would save them, envelope and all, but now people send me ecards... I don't know why but it just isn't the same. I don't even keep the ecards, like I keep the birthday cards. I just find that it isn't as special.

I agree. I don't think there's much sentiment involved in choosing a stupid singing cat or whatever and emailing it.

31. DexisView profile image75
    DexisViewposted 10 years ago

I love a handwritten letter.  It so personal.  Everything from the signature, to the writing style and paper used is unique.  They are also a piece of history and something that can be saved from that special someone.
    I have letters that my grandmother wrote me and I cherish them.
    If you really want to show someone how special they are to you ~ there is no better way than to take the time to write them a note.

I agree. I think some things are best written down as well, particularly things that may be forgotten, and there will come a time where you stumble upon those letters from people who aren't around anymore, and are able to reminisce! Emails...no

32. StoneCircle profile image88
    StoneCircleposted 10 years ago

To me, getting a letter from someone means that they took the time and thought of me. They had to be thinking of me when the card was picked out or made, in the case of my nieces and nephews. Anybody can send a text or email. There may be some thought in it but a group message just isn't the same.
    I have saved every card I have gotten over the years. My partner didn't feel the same way about cards and letters, but I would pull them out of the trash bin and put them in a shoe box. When her mom passed away, I went to the box and wrapped those letters and cards up in the ribbon her mom had used on a present. It meant the world to her to see her moms' words and handwriting. To me, that is why letters and cards a so wonderful.

I agree. I love looking back on cards and letters... Even more so when they remind you of someone who's gone...

33. profile image0
    Michelle Widmannposted 10 years ago

I agree, I much prefer getting hand-written letters. To me, they are so much more personalized and it takes a person more time and effort to get a letter together than to sit at their computer (which they probably do all the time anyway) and write up an email.

Emails could mean they got bored of doing whatever it was they were doing on the internet and decided to shoot you a message. Letters, on the other hand, beg for someone to sit down, think about what they want to say to you, and express it in a fun, meaningful way.

It also means more to me because I feel as though I have a piece of the person with me. Personalization gets lost in cyberspace, but by having a letter that they sat down and wrote themselves, it shows how much they really care, and suggests they are allowing themselves to be open and close with me.

yeah, its also easier to pop in a wee gift or keepsake into the envelope at the same time! Cant email a small piece of jewelery or anything like that! lol

34. Abhaque Supanjang profile image72
    Abhaque Supanjangposted 10 years ago

You are right. I like receiving a letter better than an e-mail for I can feel stronger emotion in a letter than in an e-mail. Seeing someone's handwriting give us certain sensation in reading the message that the want to tell us.

35. Jordan Hake profile image81
    Jordan Hakeposted 10 years ago

It depends on the context. 
    For business, I prefer e-mail for its speed, both in writing and in delivery. 
    But for personal correspondence, a nothing can beat a handwritten letter.

Totally, its all a question of context and scenario, i suppose! smile

36. liesl5858 profile image82
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

I would prefer a handwritten letter than an email, it's okay if it's an emergency I don't mind an email. I am an old fashion woman who prefers a letter with a personal touch. Especially if it comes from my country (Philippines) I would love to receive handwritten letters from my family. My father usually writes to me and my favourite cousin.

I agree, it would definitely feel like a piece of Home came in the mail smile

37. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 10 years ago

I prefer a letter, the curiosity of who it is from and the  anxiousness of opening the envelope iis my best moment

38. WalterPoon profile image68
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

Writing letters back and forth... I don't think so. But receiving a handwritten letter on your birthday would be a novelty these days. Also a letter from a friend whom you haven't met for a long time, whether online or otherwise, would be a pleasant surprise. But if you are meeting on Facebook every now and then, it would sound weird to write a letter when you can just communicate online and get an instant response... unless it is a prank to give you a friendly surprise.

I can appreciate that, so I try to keep my penpals out of my online world, its easier that way! Plus, it gives you something to write about in the letters!

39. Acmontero profile image60
    Acmonteroposted 10 years ago

I personally would love to receive a hand written letter, but I can not remember when was the last time I received one of those. Granted emails, Facebook, Skype, etc is a quicker way of communicating with others but there is nothing like hand written messages. I am the type of person that enjoys very much keeping things such as ticket stubs, pctures, birthday cards, anniversary cards, everything as a reminer of that moment. It does not feel the same when those loving messsages come from an email and to keep them I have to print them out. Maybe I am just different that way.

40. rondmrn profile image78
    rondmrnposted 10 years ago

I love getting handwritten letters! There's just so much more personality to them. In this day and age, many people have forgotten the art of writing letters. May they be on the yellow legal pad, a page from an old notebook, or a sophisticated looking stationery.

I do try my best to do the old fashioned way of communicating with loved ones. However, if you are on a job search or communicating professionally with co-workers and clients. I guess typing everything is the norm. I wish more people wrote on paper more!

J.K Rowling wrote all of the Harry Potter books on paper! That still amazes me! Even when she could afford a laptop.

Amazing fact about JK Rowling! I wouldn't have thought many authors would write on paper, but it makes sense, as i have a better "flow" of writing when i write on paper, and i usually write hubs on paper first, then copy them on the computer..

41. asp6889 profile image59
    asp6889posted 10 years ago

I find myself always looking forward to seeing the mail carrier come up to my mailbox. I rarely get anything besides junk mail or bills, but the thrill of maybe receiving a letter from family or friends still gets me to run out as soon as the mail arrives. I'm guilty of taking the easy way out and emailing my friends and family more than calling and writing a letter combined, however. I suppose I need to initiate the written letter in order to receive them!

Very true! I didnt start writing letters until i amswered an ad for a penpal. Now I have 4 penpals, and I send cards and letters to other friends and relatives. Its nice when you get a response!

42. Man of Strength profile image72
    Man of Strengthposted 10 years ago

Wow, what a great and nostalgic question. I love to get handwritten letters from people I care about. I remember having a pen pal. I'd anticipate that letter's arrival and almost stalk the mailbox. Also, letters from home is what got me thorough Marine Corps boot camp almost 20 years ago. Those letter kept me encouraged and were needed while enduring that. It's something that's now taken for granted due to the digital age we live in now.

Yeah, a letter can certainly boost morale!

43. Emily Diane profile image57
    Emily Dianeposted 10 years ago

I'm engaged to a Navy Sailor. Before he joined the military we would text all day everyday. As nice as it was to stay in touch with him on a daily basis, I noticed that we sometimes took each other for granted. Being close to someone can some times put distance between you, and distance inevitably draws two people closer. Letters are the most intimate way to communicate if you can't communicate face to face. Something about seeing the words scrawled across the page in a unique penmanship makes the distance feel not so far away.

Such a lovely spin on this, Emily. Thanks for your answer. We d totally take people for granted when we have instant access to them. Hope you get to see him soon!

44. joanveronica profile image69
    joanveronicaposted 10 years ago

I used to love to receive letters, it's become difficult due to the place where I now live. So now I settle for email. At least I get the communication quickly!

Very true! Plus, it can't get lost in the mail! lol

45. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

i would love to receive handwritten letters rather than emails. Maybe courier service. I sure missed those pen written letters

sparkleyfingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have 3 people that I write to regularly, I look forward to the letters, and I enjoy spending time thinking out my replys... Bring back the letter, I say!

46. Charlie LeSueur profile image68
    Charlie LeSueurposted 7 years ago

It depends on what it is and who it is from. Of course if it's a birthday card filled with cash or a check, I going to want that. If it's an advertisment or a bill, just send it to me email, please.

47. Al Greenbaum profile image70
    Al Greenbaumposted 7 years ago

A letter is the most personal way to communicate. But in this day and age speed is all. It takes time to write and post a letter. Most people can't be bothered to do that. So, emails it is.

48. Deborah Minter profile image92
    Deborah Minterposted 6 years ago

I would much like to correspond by letters. As a child they were still common..... Now the practice seems to be reserved for Christmas.

49. Larry Fish profile image67
    Larry Fishposted 6 years ago

I will be 69 in less than two weeks so I guess you can say I am from the old school. Yes, I like to get and send those hand written letters. However, as you say it is getting to be a thing of the past. With email and all of the social media sites people are increasingly sending those short messages. When I was a young boy, so many things were a distant dream, cell phones, computers, the Internet.
    Now we can send or receive a message or a photo from half way around the world at the blink of an eye where the hand written letter takes a week or more. We are in the technology age and it will never go back to the way in was in the land of yesteryear.

50. profile image51
    Bilal3349592397posted 6 years ago

Yes,I love to get handwritten letters from people.

1. RobinReenters profile image59
      RobinReentersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

These days emails can be a burden deleting so many unwanted so unnecessary ones. What I love about getting a postcard or the letter it's the right timing a person makes you feel so welcome her or his words to treasure and holds truthfully so dearly. So in an email the words just fly by me it's like a time machine we are going forward but our postcard or letter we always can remember.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)