I am curious if people still write by hand or has everyone switched to the keybo

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Mr. Happy profile image71
    Mr. Happyposted 13 years ago

I am curious if people still write by hand or has everyone switched to the keyboard permanently?

I still write by hand. I take notes, write on the side of my books, I often write on anything on which I can write in order to remember a though (my memory is terrible at times).
    I also write journal entries by hand and once in a blue moon an actual letter.
    That's my hand-writing story. What's yours?

2. Deborah Demander profile image89
    Deborah Demanderposted 13 years ago

I send each of my eight children and my husband a hand written card every month. I mean, I buy a card, and write a note in it. It is nice to get real mail. And handwritten notes are especially good if your writing is legible.
    Namaste.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

My handwriting is appalling and getting worse.  My typing gets better.  I prefer typing to writing now.

4. CDL Career Coach profile image64
    CDL Career Coachposted 13 years ago

I type more than I write now.  But I still like to write by hand, it's a whole different creative process and I think it uses a more artistic part of your brain. I usually brainstorm on paper before I really get going on the keyboard.

5. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 13 years ago

I like to write by hand for special people, I think is more of a personal touch.  My hand writing is not the best, but I do like to mail a written letter every now and then.

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

i write by hand mostly. my typing is horrible and very slow, plus i find when i type i tend to omit things because it takes too long to type them out.

7. workingmomwm profile image80
    workingmomwmposted 13 years ago

I type all the time. My penmanship is terrible. I can't even hardly sign my name anymore. And, if I do handwrite something then try to go back and read it, I can't even read what I've previously written half the time.

8. Eva-Lynn profile image58
    Eva-Lynnposted 13 years ago

I do both but prefer writing by hand then tranferring to computer.  I force myself to send friends an occassional handwritten letter.

And I still prefer a 'hard' book vs. kindle etc.

9. Gyldenboy profile image64
    Gyldenboyposted 13 years ago

I type mostly. Particularly for stories, articles - basically whatever I plan on publishing some day.

By hand, I usually write notes. I don't believe an electronic device can substitute a pen and paper for writing ideas down. So, that's the one exception for me with preferring hand writing over typing/texting notes.

On rare occasion, I've hand written parts of chapters and short stories. In those cases, I've made use of Dragonspeak to type them into a word processor.

10. suzybee30 profile image61
    suzybee30posted 13 years ago

I use my computer and keyboard all the time for (besides work) writing articles, sending email communications, and for blogging.

I use my notepads (yes I have a ton) for taking notes while watching webinars and Ustream classes, jotting down article ideas, leaving myself reminders, brainstorming, and just general note taking. I even tend to rip out articles from magazines, staple them to a notebook page, and write notes & thoughts about the articles. Actually, this is a major habit of mine when I rip out recipes. I like to staple them to my recipe notepad, jot down notes such as food substitutions, and then later go back to my computer to type out my revised recipes.

11. vietnamvet68 profile image61
    vietnamvet68posted 13 years ago

Pen and paper, What is that? the old school ways are long gone now we just push a key. smile)

12. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years ago

A couple years ago I was making pretty decent money, and every evening after work I'd go have some beer and some super duper awesome Cajun style seafood at a place called "Shuck N' Jive" in Dallas, Texas.  I brought a little notebook with me every time that I went in.  I've got some. . .little story hubs that are the products of me simply sitting around and observing little scenes that occurred there at the bar.

All the bar tenders and wait staff there recognized my little notebook on site; and once when I'd run off and left it, I drove back there in a panic, and as soon as I walked in some of the staff were smiling at me, and they knew already what I'd returned for.

13. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

The more I use a computer, the worse my handwriting gets!  Sometimes I can't even read my own writing!  But that could be why I place so much value on a hand written note from someone, it truly seems from the heart when people take the time to sit down and hand write a letter.

14. profile image0
    DexiSpecsposted 13 years ago

Greeting cards whether it be birthday, Christmas, or a thank you.  Handwritten gives it the personal touch.
    Oh...and my "to do" list.

15. onegoodwoman profile image67
    onegoodwomanposted 13 years ago

Yes, I do....virtually everything I write from a letter to a grocery list, to a business idea, is first crafted by hand.  I am on a personal crusade to revamp the art of letter writing.  Luckily, I have a few aged aunts to write to.

Technology has its advantages, but there is nothing like the personal touch!

16. etower036 profile image61
    etower036posted 13 years ago

Most of the time I write on paper, my ideas, and thoughts, then I will transfer it to the computer wheh I have a chance. I am with you Mr Happy, I would use anything that I could write on, napkins, scraps of paper or using my cell phone notepad function. Course this sucks cause its not a qwerty keypad.  I have recently started to dictate my ideas for stories into the digital recorder app on the phone, and this has been working out well, all though get some strange looks by people when I say things like, "His heart raced as the creature moved quickly towards him."  LOL

17. jlastevens profile image59
    jlastevensposted 13 years ago

My handwriting is deplorable. I've been told on numerous occasions that my writing looks like 'doctor handwriting'. I prefer typing because for me it's faster. I type very fast, and my hands don't seem to be falling behind like it usually would when I'm writing...plus, my hand/wrist actually hurts when I begin writing. Probably not normal? I don't know!

This hub reminds me about an article I just read in the newspaper. A person walked into a bank and handed the teller a handwritten note stating that he was here to take money and that he was to hand her a certain amount or people would get hurt. The teller handed the note back apologizing and said she didn't understand what was written, and asked him to rewrite the note. While he did that, she was able to notify the authorities! Funny right? Silly criminals.

18. AngusNz profile image59
    AngusNzposted 13 years ago

I do both, I like to write because its artistic and has more feeling if I want to thank somebody for something a hand written note is by far the most personal and has more meaning.

19. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 13 years ago

I'm forever writing myself notes, but my handwriting is so bad that, unless I transfer the information into my computer within a very short space of time, I have no chance of deciphering what I've written! Other people don't require the time lapse; my writing is a mystery to anyone else, even as the words fall gracelessly from my pen.

I often wake up during the night when my subconscious forces me awake with an idea or solution to something I've been wrestling with, but I've had to give away the bedside notepad; it's pure scrawl in the morning.

I envy those whose handwriting is not merely legible, but, as in the case of my late father, has an elegance and style that imbues the page with an arresting dimension over and above the words themselves. It's a beautifully individual human quality.

As a matter of interest, or trivia.. I don't know whether you know of Dawn French in Canada. She's an English comedic actress, famous for programmes like "The French and Saunders show", and more latterly, "The Vicar of Dibley". She's also married to Lenny Henry, an equally well known UK stage and TV comedian.

Anyway...Dawn French recently released her latest book, called "A Tiny Bit Marvellous". While watching her being interviewed on TV, I was surprised to hear that she wrote the book, and in fact everything ese she's done, entirely by hand.

I guess that would be one way of avoiding the accusations that are often levelled at celebrity writers; that what is presented as 'all my own work' is more often the work of ghost writers.

20. kknde profile image72
    kkndeposted 13 years ago

I still write by hand, when I got the chance. Buty at work I mostly type. And as you can write by hand to the computer, so far, mostly typing

21. Hyphenbird profile image82
    Hyphenbirdposted 13 years ago

I usually write by hand and then transfer the information to Word. I love the crisp, clean paper and that first mark of graphite or ink. Ahhhh, gotta go write something now!

22. Coffee With Carla profile image60
    Coffee With Carlaposted 13 years ago

I love to write by hand. If you are a true writer at heart there is nothing like when the ink hits the paper and flows in whatever direction you choose.  I still read real books not on a Kendel too, why you might ask?  I love the smell of a new book and crisp new pages feel. 

Computers have changed so much for us and much for the good ( like now).  It will never replace writing and reading for me.

23. simply steph profile image60
    simply stephposted 13 years ago

I used to write everything in my journal notebook than on typing..I write my plans, how I feel on that day, happenings of my life and everything that I can't share with friends..I just address my letters to my best friend..JESUS

24. EnjoyYourLife profile image59
    EnjoyYourLifeposted 13 years ago

Never gave up handwriting completely---nothing like receiving a greeting card or post card from snail mail with real writing once in awhile. But on an entirely different note, I pretty much don't read hard-copied newspapers as much as I used to if at all..........hmmm.

25. MarloByDesign profile image77
    MarloByDesignposted 13 years ago

I still "write out" my grocery list, but mainly type everything else.

I do believe in writing and sending "real" greeting cards and not "e-cards". I do not feel that "e-cards" are special.

26. fbliangcha profile image59
    fbliangchaposted 13 years ago

In japan it is quite a tradition to write and send new years cards on jan 1. but with computers many people are choosing to do them up on a computer and send them off. with postal rates so high how can I afford to write anymore.

27. Elefanza profile image69
    Elefanzaposted 13 years ago

I'm starting to write more by keyboard because my internal censor is easier to get past. However, I still do some journal writing by hand. This feels more personal. And I like the idea of writing everything by hand.

28. Krissi87 profile image60
    Krissi87posted 13 years ago

I personally find writing by hand more soothing and I can get my thoughts out better. I am a poetry writer so having a notebook or basically paper around to write the quick poem idea is easier then trying to find a computer. Yet, I find writing on computer helps when I am putting all  those thoughts together since I can edit easier.

29. brianlokker profile image95
    brianlokkerposted 13 years ago

When I was younger I was proud of my handwriting, or as the teachers called it, penmanship -- especially because I'm left-handed, which makes writing more challenging. (The ink would sometimes smear. It was impossible to write on the front side of a piece of looseleaf paper without removing it from the binder.) But typing was easier and faster, and the more I typed, the worse my handwriting became. At this point I can barely read it myself. I still write short notes by hand, but I prefer to type most everything else. My current challenge is learning to type reasonably fast on my onscreen iPad and iPhone keyboards. (I typed this answer on my iPad, so I guess I'm getting the hang of it!)

30. profile image0
    Sierra Mackenzieposted 13 years ago

I do both.  When writing for Hub I use the keyboard, but I keep handwritten notes everywhere.  I also have kept a journal for forty years and I see that my handwriting has changed drastically.  Once small and clear, it went to large and bold, then became shaky, and back to small and clear.  At one point I could not  write at all, but printed everything.  Now I am back to writing again. I believe handwriting has a lot to do with health and how the body is reacting to the messages sent out by the brain.  I prefer the keyboard by all means, it is faster and always easy to read.  Sometimes I can't decipher my handwriting.

31. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

at work all of my med chart assesmemts are hand written,... my thoughts for song writing are always hand written,.... its only when i  consider it finished that i type it into a file on the notebook,... creative writing gets typed these days,... arthur just screams w/ too much hand written material.

32. revmjm profile image88
    revmjmposted 13 years ago

I still write by hand when I am not at my keyboard. For instance, I take notes in church, and make marginal notes when I am reading.  I don't handwrite my articles before I post them here. I only use the keyboard for that.

33. Amy Becherer profile image66
    Amy Bechererposted 13 years ago

I write notes (good habit) on whatever is available (bad habit), sometimes making it difficult to find these notes!  I do handwrite thank you's.

When I write anything creatively, I always use my keyboard.  It somehow makes the process more organized in keeping track of where I'm at, as it's neatly printed right in front of me, I have access to the dictionary if in doubt about spelling or all meanings of a particular word, and as a result, my focus is purely on the creative process.  Using the keyboard is incredibly freeing for me and I would never go back to the dark ages of writing...deciphering scribbled ramblings that are crossed out, written over, with pages of brainstorms that require time and patience to unravel.

34. Jeremey profile image60
    Jeremeyposted 13 years ago

Everything handwritten first, excepot the answer to this question!

35. row777 profile image61
    row777posted 12 years ago

While typing can be convenient and minimize clutter, nothing will replace writing by hand for me. I often write better for some reason when I am writing by hand, it's when I come up with my best poems. But usually I'll transfer my writing to a computer when it is done.

36. hazeltos profile image70
    hazeltosposted 5 years ago

I use typing and writing by hand both.  For me I prefer the writing by hand when writing for a book.  I like being able to make notes along the edge of the paper to use for later.  I like being able to take the writing along with me.  I am pretty old school when it comes to putting something on a device.  I am more likely to lose or misplace it than I am a notebook.

37. Mr. Happy profile image71
    Mr. Happyposted 5 years ago

I have been writing journal entries for almost thirty years (not constantly, from time to time). Those are written by hand. I also take notes by hand, or if I have ideas about something that I wish to remember: I write it down, by hand. I still like paper, which is not so nice for the Trees but I do lol

38. profile image0
    Susan SJposted 5 years ago

I use notebooks, papers, files, markers, and pens. I just love the experience.

39. Lovelli Fuad profile image92
    Lovelli Fuadposted 5 years ago

Compared to 10 years ago, when I do 50/50 of typing and handwriting, I am less productive with my journal entries. There used to be an entry for every day and special days. But today I type everything out, and do about 5% of my writing by hand - my journal is missing pages here and there.

On the brighter side, I find that I produce more articles and other works digitally - posters, banners, illustrations, photography. It still feels a bit werid, but I'm getting the hang of it.

40. profile image60
    laugherposted 5 years ago

I think most people type these days. What really saddens me is the fact that kids are robbed of the opportunity to doodle, to just hold a chalk, a pen, or a pencil and scribble. I used to do that all the time as a kid, and I remember just how steep the learning curve to dexterity was.

I take notes and scribble as much as I can in tissues, my notepad, and a whiteboard I keep in my bedroom. I also type quite a bit. I'd say the ratio between typing and writing manually for me is 50:50.

41. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 5 years ago

I still use a pen and notebook to write almost everything before transferring it to computer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)