jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How Do I Get Comments On My Novel Writing?

1. CrazedNovelist profile image85
    CrazedNovelistposted 5 years ago

How Do I Get Comments On My Novel Writing?

So I have six chapters of novel writing on my hubpages, but I haven't gotten a single comment (good amount of pageviews, though). I really want to know what's the best way to get comments for works like novel excerpts. It's really important that I get feedback. Anyone have advice on how to get feedback?

2. phdast7 profile image83
    phdast7posted 5 years ago

Crazed - We are all busy and pressed for time and reading and commenting on chapters takes a lot of time.   So, some suggestions:

1)   Post short excerpt of a chapter, no more than 5-6 pages and make sure there is lots of "white space" and pictures to break up the text and encourage people to keep reading.

2)    Who else is writing a similar book or stories on HP?   Are you willing to spend serious time reading and commenting on their work?   Contact them and see if they are willing to trade with you.

3)  Print a chapter out  -- make a hard copy.   Do not look at it at all for 4-5 days.  Now read it slowly out loud listening for mistakes and areas that feel rough or need to be tinkered with.  Make corrections in pencil as you go.  We read too fast and have a harder time correcting out own work when we read silently. 

4) There is a;ways the old-fashioned way, but you will have to leave your house and meet with real people.   Find a local writer's club (or start one - usually meet once or twice a month) where everyone exchanges chapters at each meeting and edits each other's work before the next meeting.   Develop a tough hide - be prepared for criticism - that s how we get better.   Good Luck.   smile

3. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

The HubPages newsletter from a month or two ago mentioned that it's a bad idea to publish hubs in a numbered series, as readership for these is low. 

The reasons are multiple:  we're all busy, it's hard to keep track of where were were in the story, what your page address is, where the story is in your pile of hubs, and etc.  It's just difficult to follow. 

I advise you to find friends or relatives who will be subjective and be able to critique your works.  Another alternative is to find a freelance editor.  You'll certainly get readers and followers on HP, but probably not as many as you'd get in, say, a book-readers forum.  Hope that helps.

1. CrazedNovelist profile image85
      CrazedNovelistposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It does help, Faceless. I only posted like six chapters and haven't posted any in past few weeks so people would have time to catch up. Though I had one person who began following said she was enjoying those chapters. Were people only reading them?