jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is there any recommended book for writing ?

1. myownlife profile image39
    myownlifeposted 5 years ago

Is there any recommended book for writing ?

I have been thinking of buying a book to improve my writing but still in confusion which to buy, is there any recommended one? Why the specific one? And is it possible to buy via HP?

2. Pamela99 profile image86
    Pamela99posted 5 years ago

I'm sure there are many books that address good content, choosing strong keywords and the most effective way to use them.I purchased The Associated Press  Style Book when I started doing freelance writing. It is a great resource for using proper punctuation, pronouns and other information. Using proper grammar without any typos, and proper punctuation is very important. I hope this helps.

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

A couple of my favorite books were "Writing to Change the World" by Mary Pipher and "The only Grammar Book You Will Ever Need" (can't think of the author name right now) The first has some writing exercises and techniques, but more it shows examples and philosophy of the power of words to persuade.   It was truly inspiring and made me want to write my heart out even more.  The only grammar book is excellent, well organized and a great way to improve more "technical" skills.  You can quickly look up common errors and grammar issues.  As for web writing and hub writing specifically, there are many great hubs here and the learning center info.  I'd start there smile

4. Jim and Beyond profile image78
    Jim and Beyondposted 5 years ago

I am currently reading "The Writer's Art" by James Kilpatrick.  I'll admit that it may not appeal to everybody as the author comes off as a bit pompous.  But if you can get past that, it is fabulous.  There are tons of examples of good and bad writing which illustrate the author's points effectively, and often humorously.  I have it on my Kindle so I can always refer to it.