jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What is your favourite Thomas Hardy novel?

1. Imogen French profile image85
    Imogen Frenchposted 5 years ago

What is your favourite Thomas Hardy novel?

Thomas Hardy was from Dorset, my part of the world, and I love both his stories and the beautiful descriptions of the Dorset countryside at the last turn of the century. I find it hard to decide which is my favourite. How about you?

2. DreamerMeg profile image91
    DreamerMegposted 5 years ago

Tess of the D'Urbervilles, probably because it was the first one I read. Following that, I went through most of his novels and I think "Far from the Madding Crowd" is my next favourite - I also enjoyed the film of that. His novels mostly appear to follow a theme of unhappy first relationship, followed by happier second relationship. I found Jude the Obscure very sad.

Imogen Frenchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Meg - I agree with all your observations. I also enjoyed the film version of Far From the Madding Crowd, and cried when I read Jude! Thanks for a well thought out answer.

2. profile image61
      Lantokeyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Greetings my little DARKLINGS!
      all of them!
      sweet dreams
      the gadfly

3. marwan asmar profile image80
    marwan asmarposted 5 years ago

Its got to be Far From the Madding Crowd. The title is electric and so is the plot three men grovelling over a woman

Hi marwan, this does seem to be one of the most popular. I enjoyed this story too, and at least it has a sort of happy ending, unlike many of his other books. smile

4. First Colony profile image60
    First Colonyposted 5 years ago

I, too, want to cast my vote for "Far from the Madding Crowd".  Hardy is one of my favorite authors, and what I especially like is that there are no wasted characters.  Even the seemingly random inn keeper introduced early in the story will become important.  There are no coincidences in Hardy novels!

Thanks for your answer, first colony. I know what you mean about all the characters being important - I suppose in small rural communities everybody knew each other and had an effect on each other's lives.

5. Mazzy Bolero profile image80
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

I like "The Return of the Native." I love the description of the moor at the beginning and the strange characters like Diggory Venn the Reddleman. The idea of coming home, but never being able to really belong there again, strikes a note with me, too.

Yes, I love the ironic plot of this book too. Hardy seemed to understand both the male and female psyche very well, and this is another reason I love his stories.

working