jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you consider a Haiku to be genuine poetry?

1. Poethepoet profile image76
    Poethepoetposted 5 years ago

Do you consider a Haiku to be genuine poetry?

2. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Being very old fashioned and simple minded, to me genuine poetry are clever verses which say a lot in an intricate but rhyming manner. But then I don't know much.

3. AudreyHowitt profile image87
    AudreyHowittposted 5 years ago

Absolutely! --I wanted to just leave it at the one word--but HP wouldn't let me do that--so I'll frame my answer--Absolutely!

4. Goody5 profile image72
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

Absolutely not! To me a poem is a series of flowing rhymes that tell a beautiful story in the end, like your poems in "Silent Poetry" do. I wrote three Haiku's merely as a joke here on the hub pages. There's nothing special about them other then they are a simple writing exercise. A Haiku really doesn't take all that much time to write other then the fact of having the correct number of syllables in line, there's nothing difficult about a Haiku.

5. Faith Reaper profile image87
    Faith Reaperposted 5 years ago

Oh, yes, a gifted writer can use few words but convey much.

I am not sure about it being "genuine" poetry, but it is a type of poetry no doubt.

6. Rod Marsden profile image76
    Rod Marsdenposted 5 years ago

Yes. A poem has structure. Haiku has structure. Not everyone can put together a Haiku poem. It is a Japanese concept. All up, it is just another way of putting your feelings out there.