jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)

What is your favorite poetry genre?

1. wayne barrett profile image73
    wayne barrettposted 4 years ago

What is your favorite poetry genre?

Do you prefer; narrative, satirical, inspirational...? it is hard to choose, but if I had to pick, I would go with what I most like to read and to write: speculative poetry.

2. PHILLYDREAMER profile image81
    PHILLYDREAMERposted 4 years ago

All poetry has is worth reading with the exception of Haiku.  Just kidding on the last part, but I admit I'm not a fan of short poetic forms.

wayne barrettposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Haiku is easy to read, but unless it is very exceptional, there is just not enough substance to entertain me or edify me.

2. Faith Reaper profile image86
      Faith Reaperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much, Wayne, for choosing my answer as best smile  I am so sorry, Phillydreamer, as there was no other comment section listed under my question area.  Hugs, Faith Reaper

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

For me, any form of poem is interesting if it hooks me, challenges then sends me some place emotionally I've not been before. I get enjoyment from a broad range, from romantic to dark to blank verse to, yes, haiku.

Personal preference is for Nature poetry but I read lots of poems from different genres. Too much sweet confessional stuff tends to put me off unless it's got something magical up its sleeve.

Innovative poetry - the ultra modern stuff - is a bit of a brain churner but the use of language is unusual and cutting edge.

So, it's Nature poetry for me.

Again I agree. The positive thing about Nature poetry ( If it is presented well) is that it is a very 'feel good' genre.

4. Faith Reaper profile image86
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

Hmm, that is a hard choice to make, as I love all poetry of course, and especially inspirational or dramatic, but if I had to choose just one, it would be narrative, as I am for the most part a non-fiction writer, so I love to write poetry from my own experiences.

narrative would have been my second choice...mmm, maybe ( :
      I am a short story-prose writer, and to me the line between narrative poetry and the aforementioned is very fine.

2. Faith Reaper profile image86
      Faith Reaperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is.  Your poetry written here on HP is really amazing, Wayne.

5. xstatic profile image59
    xstaticposted 4 years ago

I don't really have a preference. Speculative poetry is a favorite, along with narrative. I enjoy poems that highlight the little ironies of life, and haiku too, if it is well done.

And poetry and prose is the best way to express those little ironies.

6. Cantuhearmescream profile image80
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 4 years ago

As others have stated, I too like all forms! But, if I had to choose one... it would be whatever that kind is that the talented Wayne Barrett writes big_smile

Its called, 'The Weird and Wacky Wayneism's of Waynes' World!' ; )

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image80
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Holy Macaroni! Sounds like you're on to something with that one big_smile

7. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 4 years ago

I love poetry and especially so if it tells a story, or leaves us with a bit mystery.

I in all honesty do not know the different types of poetry. I did however read about them from a hubber.

I know my poems are just whatever is in my mind and I usually like them to rhyme and for some reason I can not seem to write short poems.

I think you are referring to styles. And when it comes to styles, I also prefer just writing what is on my mind which is generally called 'free form, or free verse poetry'
      It sounds like your genre preference would be narrative.

8. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

For me it would be narrative or "free form." Although I do like all other types of poetry. But, for me when a poem really tells a story, that's what gets me.

thank you Jeff.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome Wayne.

9. Aadom23 profile image59
    Aadom23posted 4 years ago

I really don't have a preference i like all genre but the most i have read is narrative and inspirational.

You can't go wrong with inspirational!

10. shanmarie profile image79
    shanmarieposted 4 years ago

To read? Or to write? I think I prefer to read humorous poetry, or anything particularly moving or thought provoking.  To write. . .something more lyrical in nature or that expresses emotions I'm having at the moment and can't really express to random people in any verbally articulate fashion.

...and you seem to do that so well. I would probably define that as 'speculative".

2. shanmarie profile image79
      shanmarieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

How do you figure that?

11. MrsBrownsParlour profile image87
    MrsBrownsParlourposted 4 years ago

I like unconventional free verse poetry that uses words and punctuation symbolically or or uniquely. My favorite poet is e.e.cummings. I like when poets use the visual structure (the layout) to enhance the impact of their words.

working