This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)

What classic books do you hate?

1. Amanda108 profile image92
    Amanda108posted 5 years ago

What classic books do you hate?

Are there any "classic" books that you think are poorly written or that you just couldn't get into for the life of you?

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I hated A Farewell to Arms (if we can consider that a classic). I'm not a big Hemingway fan to begin with, but the constant back-and-forth dialogue between two lovers and the slow, prosy descriptions of landscapes, and the simple romance story made the book a little dull for me. At least it was short.

3. stclairjack profile image82
    stclairjackposted 5 years ago

Kafka’s "metamorphosis"....I remember thinking while i was forced to read this in high school that they could have asked me to read Kipling, Stephen Crane, Twain, Poe, Lewis Sinclair, C S Lewis, S E Hinton... i would have gladly waded through Tolkien who i thought was slow and dull but worth it,..... but laboring my way through this idiotic acid trip for household vermin,... just stunningly stupid,... i got it, i understood it, i just didn’t like it,..... however,... it may have been that i didn’t really like the teacher at the time, she wouldn’t let me make the connection between Kafka's metamorphosis and the movie "The Fly",... at least that would have given me some kind of bone to chew on,... but no.

1. Iammattdoran profile image88
      Iammattdoranposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love Metamorphosis.  Although I guess maybe I romanticise it slightly as I discovered Kafka whilst travelling in Czech when I was 19 and so the book reminds of a good time.  I struggled with his 'The Trial' though,  Still not finished that one

4. MickS profile image69
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I think hate is rather strong; however, there are many books, 'classic', or otherwise that I would prefer not to waste my time with, including:
    Wuthering Hights
    Black Beauty
    What Katy Did, etc
    Cider With Rosie
    and on and on, too many to think on.

1. Iammattdoran profile image88
      Iammattdoranposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the wasting time sentiment.  Sometimes I try and read some of these classics because I feel like I 'should' in order to be better read but I often labour through them slowly with disinterest

2. MickS profile image69
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I use the publiser's editor trick , if the thing doesn't grab me on the first par, it goes back, thanks, but no thanks.
      I should have added, Dune,  great film, but I couldn't wade through the 1st par of the book.

5. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

It has to be Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights' - what a long, dreary, depressing, stupid story! I would read about three pages at the most and then throw the book into a corner. It became a kind of challenge for me to actually finish it, which I finally did, but it was a chore! I prefer something more light hearted like Jane Austen or something wonderfully spooky like Bram Stoker's 'Dracula'!

1. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image86
      LastRoseofSummer2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have not read "Wuthering Heights", but I know the story and I 100% agree with you. I also agree with your preferred choices smile

6. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image98
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 5 years ago

Anything by J.R.R. Tolkien - I just have never been able to get into his writing at all.  All of these answers are interesting and it really shows me how many different tastes there are out there.  Good question.

1. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image86
      LastRoseofSummer2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am the same way! I have read "The Hobbit", but I can't get into "The Lord of the Rings". It just doesn't hold my interest. I feel like a traitor to the literary world, but what can I do? smile

7. Iammattdoran profile image88
    Iammattdoranposted 5 years ago

I never really 'hate' any classic books that I read but I sometimes read them and wonder what all the fuss is about and why a particular book was deemed 'classic'. 
    A couple that spring to mind are Cold Comfort Farm and Of Mice and Men.  I just thought they were boring but then I love loads of other classic that many other would call boring.  It's all just a matter of taste really isn't it?

8. ketage profile image84
    ketageposted 5 years ago

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, Took forever to finish reading and was Seriously boring for me,
    Maybe I read it at too young an age to appreciate it. But all the drama and detailed descriptions of the surrounding environment drove me nuts.

1. Lor's Stories profile image60
      Lor's Storiesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Cliff notes:)

9. Lor's Stories profile image60
    Lor's Storiesposted 5 years ago

War and peace! It's just too long.
    Almost all Russian classics are too long.
    That and Charles Dickens. Too long and somber.

1. ketage profile image84
      ketageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I actually loved the Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens smile
      But I do agree with you, most Russian classics I have read are very sombre.

10. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image86
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 5 years ago

I HATE "Jane Eyre"! Once every girl gets to a certain age she is told "Oh, you have to read "Jane Eyre"! Let me tell you, NO YOU DON'T! It is long, boring, and as an adult, there are some underlying sexual things which I now notice and do not appreciate.

Now I don't know if I absolutely hate "The Three Musketeers", but it was certainly a waste of time reading it! Everyone calls it one of the world's great adventure stories. I thought it was just plain stupid!

11. Mazzy Bolero profile image79
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

I just couldn't get into Finnegan's Wake.  What kind of a man was Joyce to spend 17 years writing a book that no one would understand and that maybe three pretentious professors in total would have the masochistic perseverance to read to the end? 

Call me a philistine if you like, but I think writing fiction requires telling a good story rather than baffling people with obscurity to show off how clever you are!  Am I too dumb to recognize genius when I am bashed over the head with it?  Or was he really a self-indulgent old egotist?

Yes, I know they say James Joyce was incandescently brilliant - so I'm sure I'm missing something.  Maybe someone can tell me what it is smile

working