jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

What is the best book you found at a thrift shop or yard sale?

1. starstream profile image77
    starstreamposted 5 years ago

What is the best book you found at a thrift shop or yard sale?

2. CenterAll72 profile image79
    CenterAll72posted 5 years ago

The best book I found was a book about dreams it was only $1 dollar. i still use it til this day.

3. epigramman profile image68
    epigrammanposted 5 years ago

The lost works of Epigramman: the most famous unpublished poe-it in the entire world!
    A real treasure for sure and she even threw the book at me and said
    "Here, you can have it for free!"
    lake erie time 3:05am

4. Brett Winn profile image87
    Brett Winnposted 5 years ago

I once found a paperback copy of the Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder  at Goodwill for fifty cents. Re-read it (it was a childhood favorite) and then sold it online for twenty dollars!

5. Rosie writes profile image82
    Rosie writesposted 5 years ago

Yesterday I bought a 2013 Almanac at the Dollar Tree store.  It is filled with current-day, useful information.  It is interesting to think that the Almanac used to be the go-to source instead of the internet.

6. saxrunner profile image84
    saxrunnerposted 5 years ago

Paperback copy of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

7. cperuzzi profile image97
    cperuzziposted 5 years ago

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.  It was an old printing and I took it everywhere.

8. PDXBuys profile image74
    PDXBuysposted 5 years ago

I found a book at a Goodwill outlet store which was a real treasure.  It was a collection of writings about "systems theory" from the late 1940's.  Inside the cover was the name of the previous owner: R. Ashby.  It turned out that this book once belonged Ross Ashby, an Englishman and a famous early pioneer in the field of cybernetics.  As a bonus, tucked inside the book was a piece of paper with a handwritten mathematical proof.  Ashby's handwritten personal journals are posted online so I was able to compare the writing and verify the authenticity of the document.  Ashby did research at Stanford University for a couple of years before returning to England so it is possible the book was left after he departed the California.  I have no idea how it ended up in a Goodwill bin!

1. starstream profile image77
      starstreamposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am so thrilled reading these answers. It gives us all more interesting subjects to research.  What a wonderful find !  Thanks for sharing.

9. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 5 years ago

I found the complete black and white works by Ansel Adams at a garage sale for five bucks.  It was brand new. I gave it to my cousin as a gift.

10. jbshaban profile image61
    jbshabanposted 5 years ago

My 1960 something edition of the Betty Crocker cookbook. It's also called the Red Pie edition because it has pictures in the shapes of pie wedges. I have used it since I got married over 20 years ago. The binding has fallen apart and the front cover has fallen off. The recipes are classic, full of real ingredients, not cake mixes and short cuts.

working