jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you rather write about things that actually happened to you, or things you

1. CindyLockstone profile image60
    CindyLockstoneposted 4 years ago

Would you rather write about things that actually happened to you, or things you make up?

2. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 4 years ago

I would say both. It depends on what I'm writing. In my poetry I would say 90% is based off life experience. Though when I'm writing a fictional story I would say that it's close to opposite. 90% would be fiction and maybe 10% would be reflective of my life experience.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

I think it's true that truth is stranger than fiction. Seriously, I could not make up some of the stuff that has happened to me. Of course, sometimes a really great story can be based on experience, but embellished for maximum impact.

4. Cardisa profile image93
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

It depends what I am writing about, but I do find it harder to put my own experiences in the format of a novel. I can tell my story in bits and pieces where I can give advice and help others but when it comes to story writing, my best work is fiction. I think it's due to the fact that I fantasize a lot and often live in a dream world..lol

working