Do you write about what you really know about or do you just wing with abit of r

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Do you write about what you really know about or do you just wing with abit of research?  And...

what is your specialty?

2. profile image0
    Chasukposted 13 years ago

I write about what I know, which is non-coincidentally what interests me. Research is almost always a part of my writing, both to verify facts and augment my knowledge.

3. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 13 years ago

Most fiction writers draw upon personal experience and merge it with imagination and research.
    Most non-fiction writers have the need and ability to research and write about anything, becoming an expert on the subject for the duration of the project.
    I don't have a speciality, but I have things I prefer to write about: folklore, photography, and bonsai.

4. McConnell Group profile image69
    McConnell Groupposted 13 years ago

It depends on what my I want the end result of the hub or article to invoke. I normally do research even if I am knowledgeable on the topic

5. doban profile image61
    dobanposted 13 years ago

I write what I know about.  Fortunately, my career provides almost limitless possibilities for articles.

6. TeaPartyCrasher profile image63
    TeaPartyCrasherposted 13 years ago

I know I'm new to this place, but I seem to be writing a lot about what's on my mind, or what current event interests me.

I usually do seem to have at least some supporting links in mind so far.

7. saddlerider1 profile image58
    saddlerider1posted 13 years ago

If I am writing about a public topic of interest I would do research first, but my hubs are mainly of personal experiences, fiction and story-telling. I have a vivid imagination and a plot or story line pops into my head as I pen.

8. profile image0
    SilverGenesposted 13 years ago

I tend to write about things I'm passionate about and therefore know something about - but I research as well. That comes naturally because I also love to learn. No matter how much I know about a subject there is always more to learn. When it comes to pure fiction I still research for certain points although I wouldn't venture into completely foreign territory. Whatever I write has to ring true or I wouldn't be happy with it.

9. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

depending on topic, I usually write about things that I know, because writers must have credibility unless they are writing  fictional stories which relied mainly on the writer's creative imagination.   

I also do some research to validate what I write about, again that depends on the topic.

At present I am contributing articles to a pet magazine so I write about Animals and pet owners most of the time...in this case I need to do research and interview to complete my story

10. John B Badd profile image60
    John B Baddposted 13 years ago

I write about things I know about like movies, comic books, disc golf.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/marvel-universe … vel-comics
    Things I am learning like creative writing and my spiritual journeys.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/That-World-Part … ohn-B-Badd
    Things I care about and know a little about but have to do research on like political corruption and political philosophy.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-fix-Americas-politicians

11. st lucia for sale profile image61
    st lucia for saleposted 13 years ago

I write about what I know, or what I'm interested in. Through my university studies I have a few reports written that I'd like to convert in to hubs.

12. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

The answer to that is going to depend greatly on what you are writing about and the intended effect.  For example, if your intent as a writer is to be humorous and entertain and you chose to do it on the subject of "nuclear fision" then what you do with it as a writer is going to have far more to do with your wit than any research. On the reciprocal, if the writer is doing an instructional or investigative piece that requires precise and factual information, then style becomes somewhat secondary to research. Ultimately, even if you do excellent research, the ability of the writer to clearly convey the facts may come into play allowing for some distortion or misinterpretations.  At the end of the day, if all the writer is willing to write about is those things they throughly understand, the scope of material availble will be relatively small and the learning curve of the writer will be marginal. Writers get better because they push the envelope of their comfort level.  Hope this works! WB

13. Steppeno profile image67
    Steppenoposted 13 years ago

I try to focus on my personal experences and knowledge... But even then a little research always helps if I have doubts about certain facts I am trying to pass along... I want to be sure that any information I am giving my readers is true and to the point.

14. Guy Collins profile image59
    Guy Collinsposted 13 years ago

Writing does not come naturally to me, although I find myself doing quite a bit of it. I consider everything I absorbed from years of living - research.

But, I can only write well about the things I find interesting. So, passion for a subject plays a huge roll on whether I can produce an article that rocks, versus something that no one really wants to read.

You can clearly see the difference.

15. profile image52
    nellseenposted 13 years ago

My life and  people are an open book. Ran a beauty salon for years and   have had just about everything in my family that one could have. I do speak in women's  conf. So i love to talk about real stuff.

16. Mary Merriment profile image75
    Mary Merrimentposted 13 years ago

I write about things that I already know and use in my own life. But, I'll put in extra research before I write to ensure that my writing is based on more than just my own perspective. Which also raises my own knowledge even further. My primary areas are/will be in self-help and natural health.

17. daisyf1305 profile image76
    daisyf1305posted 13 years ago

A little of both really, I write about what is interesting to me. I research from google trends on what is hot and I write straight from within my heart and what holds meaning to me.

18. Winterfate profile image95
    Winterfateposted 13 years ago

I write about videogames, which I know a lot about. I'd say my Hubs are 80%-90% personal knowledge and 10%-20% improvisation with research (aka. winging it).

You have to know what you're talking about, but you don't necessarily have to have experienced it beforehand. ;P

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)