jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you ever get asked if the things you wrote about actually happened to you?

1. flightofdestiny profile image59
    flightofdestinyposted 6 years ago

Do you ever get asked if the things you wrote about actually happened to you?

2. Naomi's Banner profile image78
    Naomi's Bannerposted 6 years ago

So far I have not.  I'm not sure I would answer that question.  I like to stay a private person. It is hard to do that and write from the heart though.

3. marshacanada profile image75
    marshacanadaposted 6 years ago

I often write about things that actually happened to me or my friends. If readers ask about me or people who have died I answer briefly or at length depending on how comfortable I am with the questions.
    However if the question is about other people who are still alive I have to be careful to protect their privacy. The popular Canadian writer Robertson Davies was asked why he waited so long to write his famous trilogy. He answered: "People Died."

4. woodamarc profile image65
    woodamarcposted 6 years ago

Never. However, I've been known to stretch a few of my fun articles for a more interesting read.

5. flightofdestiny profile image59
    flightofdestinyposted 6 years ago

I have recently written a couple of fictional short stories and have been asked several times if the events within the stories actually ocurred. My only answer has been that even though I'm sure events  such as these have happened to someone, somewhere, they are not true life events in regards to my life. It made me curios though to see if others experience this in their writing.

6. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 6 years ago

All the time.  I'm honest as well as diplomatic when things have happened to me.  If there's other people involved, I don't want to hurt any feelings, but when you write, you can change so many things.  Yet, some people would love to be in your work or will swear they recognize themselves in your writing.

7. Bretsuki profile image78
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

Hello flightofdestiny, no-one has ever asked if any of my hubs are based on actual events.
    Apart from my History Files hubs, which are based on historic events such as the Battle of Cannae or The Peterloo Massacre in Manchester in 1819, all my hubs are based on personal experience, those include my business tips and my hubs on blindness are totally biographical.

Some areas such as in my business hubs, I take principals from books and illustrate them with real world experience. I don't think I have the kind of mind to be able to create stories from imagination. That wonderful skill is far beyond me.