Has anyone used Grammarly and what are the limitations? Has it helped you ?

1. tomy101 profile image70
    tomy101posted 4 years ago

Has anyone used Grammarly and what are the limitations? Has it helped you ?

I have started to use Grammarly.com for my writing. It has helped with my grammar, but what I find is when I run contest winning articles through it , the program finds several errors .Recently I input a 100.000 dollar prize winner article and the person scored 47 out of 100 on Grammarly. Any thoughts?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7898188_f260.jpg

2. Amber Vyn profile image61
    Amber Vynposted 4 years ago

Programs like Grammarly are a double-edged sword. They can spot many common errors that we become blind to as we write and edit our work. After a few revisions, we start to see what we expect to be there and not what's really there.

In that sense, they're great.

However, Grammarly (and others like it) doesn't have a 'feel' for language and can't process sophisticated sentence structures or elements of prosody. It will highlight them as errors - even when they're perfectly grammatical.

In that sense, use with caution!

1. tomy101 profile image70
      tomy101posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you I understand it is just a program, and it has helped me. However, running winning esays on it and scoring 30 out of 100 points with the grammar is quite amazing to me. I appreciate your common sense to my question.

working