jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

If you had only one book you could read to your child, which would it be?

1. EJ Lambert profile image74
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

If you had only one book you could read to your child, which would it be?

We all have favorite stories from when we were kids, but if you could only pick one of them to share with your own child, which would it be?

2. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

As much as I love Dr. Seuss, Where the Wild Things Are, The Giving Tree, Velveteen Rabbit, Christmas stories, etc.,  I would choose  R.L. Stevenson's " A Child's Garden of Verses." It stimulates the imagination and is written so beautifully. Young children respond to the cadence of well-written verse. A close second is Charlotte's Web.

EJ Lambertposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You know your literature, cat.  Kudos.

3. Anna Haven profile image83
    Anna Havenposted 4 years ago

For me 'Stick Man' by Julia Donaldson.
    It is incredibly well written with a story that the kids  really enjoy.  There is also  a huge moral story going on as well; which is teaching them an important message.
    The art work is brilliant and she really captures the feelings of someone who isn't being valued.
    A really outstanding book and the kids all want to hear it again and again;  which is a testimony to it's longevity as well.

An excellent choice, Anna.  The best books are the ones you enjoy every time you read them.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Wrinkle in Time by L'engle.  Love it and still read it on occasion. Lots of fun and kids really enjoy it too!

So many good things said about it.  Great call.

5. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8147319_f260.jpg

EJ Lambert,

The one book I think every child should hear and read is "Where the Wild Things Are". It help kids know they don't have to be afraid of everything, and it also lets them know that they are safe at the end of the day.
    Lisa

Can't argue with the choice.  It is a staple of the genre.

6. PattyJane profile image80
    PattyJaneposted 4 years ago

For me it would be the Bible, it has wonderful stories, is inspiration, as well as being the Word of God.

7. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I'm with Patty Jane on this one, it would definitely be the Bible. There are a lot of good children's versions out there.

8. profile image0
    hiba naeemposted 4 years ago

I grew up reading David Copperfield and Louisa May Alcott's Little women.While fantasy is great,I would still like to remind them how much reality has to offer.Even though I don't believe in spoiling a kids imagination,David's triumph over hardships will teach them how fairy tales are true in their own ways too.

working