Is there a book that has changed your life or the way you think?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Sadie14 profile image94
    Sadie14posted 11 years ago

Is there a book that has changed your life or the way you think?

There are so many books that are fun the read, but have you read any that have made a big impact on you?

2. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

This was a great question and really made me think. Funnily enough the book that really made me the person that I am today was a childrens book called Time Step, I have no idea who the author was, I was about 7 when I read it. But it captured my imagination to such a degree that as an adult I love Quantum Physics, Time Travel and so on. I had never heard of time travel before, and the girl in the book really made me feel that I wanted to be her. She was staying at an old house and kept seeing 'ghosts' but they weren't ghosts it was actually a time slip, since then my whole bookcase, interest, and tv are nearly always centred around physics, so thats the book that changed me. I often wonder if its still in print?

3. IDONO profile image59
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

I grew up with The Bible and was always influential in my life. As far as changing my life, it has to be the "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonymous.  I have been sober for quite a long time now, and the 164 pages of that book set a blueprint to go by that has given me a complete picture of what has been missing in my life and how to live a happy, fulfilling life without negative consequences. I learned peace and freedom instead of turmoil and the bondage of my addiction.
         What is amazing is that so much of it is NOT about alcohol, but about a way of life that even a person that has never drank, can benefit from. It doesn't teach about life after death. It teaches how to live until death.

4. sriramapriya profile image67
    sriramapriyaposted 11 years ago

Thank you for good question Sadie, i changed my life by reading Secret of success which was written by Yandamuri veerendranath.

5. Sunny River profile image60
    Sunny Riverposted 11 years ago

"The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis is the book that will always stay with me. It changed my perspective on good vs. evil and demons vs. angels. It's from a perspective you wouldn't expect and I will never think the same way about them again.

6. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 11 years ago

The Magic of Believing. That book explained how the power of belief can change any situation. The bible said the same thing, but this book explained why it works. He also suggested using affirmations with repetition to activate the subconscious power. The bible was against repetition in some scriptures and unfortunately that causes many people to quit before they receive their goal.

7. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

I've read many books, but I've never been hit by one.

8. lorddraven2000 profile image90
    lorddraven2000posted 11 years ago

Very good question! For me one of the books I think that really changed how I viewed a lot of things was not a particular title but a series called pop culture and philosophy.

9. SoCurious profile image59
    SoCuriousposted 11 years ago

So many.  One I read every morning is 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself by Steve Chandler.  His 100 ideas are not motivational expressions but full blown stories that are written for intelligent people.  When I get to #100, I start reading it again.  It makes me jump up and down with motivation every single day.

10. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years ago

Books of Dale Carnegie as well the one titled "You can Win" written by Shiv Khera, an Indian have really helped me to boost up my confidence.

11. tebo profile image77
    teboposted 11 years ago

My favourite books are written by Stuart Wilde and of these I really like The Sixth Sense and The 33 steps to the Infinite self.

12. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 11 years ago

"The Book" by Alan Watts.  I read it in the 70s and my concept of God became wider and deeper. Earlier, when I was 12, I would read the essays in the magazine section of the Milw. Journal which were actually taken from the book, "The Art of Living" by Wilfred Peterson.   The essays now are not as appealing to me as much as before because they are a bit dated, but they left an indelible impression on me and directed my moral compass. There were wonderful quotes in each essay.  For example, in the essay, "The Art of Giving," Perterson writes:  'Emerson said it well, "Rings and jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts.  The only true gift is a gift of thyself to others.'"  I used to almost memorize each essay.  (You can get used copies of that book in paperback, but the pages will be yellowed with age:) I do believe those two books influenced my thinking dramatically.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)