jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

How do people with such poor grammar rate so highly in their hubs?

1. rtburroughs2 profile image80
    rtburroughs2posted 4 years ago

How do people with such poor grammar rate so highly in their hubs?

2. Cardisa profile image93
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

Without knowing the details, the answer which comes to mind is that the people who are involved in rating the hubs have poor grammar as well.

1. rtburroughs2 profile image80
      rtburroughs2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think people rely to much on word processing programs. If a word is spelled correctly they don't always make sure it is used correctly.  Using your for you are is very common. So is using its for it is and vice versa.

2. Cardisa profile image93
      Cardisaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There are many more which are far worse. I too misuse it's for its which is a subconscious mistake. I know the difference yet I often do it. But there for their and your for you're are just a few of my pet peeves.

3. Shyron E Shenko profile image81
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 4 years ago

I don't think the HP staff read every hub that is written. I think the search for key words like "SHIP," or other key words, and I don't think they look for mistakes in grammar at all.

4. FitnezzJim profile image83
    FitnezzJimposted 4 years ago

I have the impression that good Hub ratings are strongly influenced by the level of opportunity for the reader to show evidence of engaging with the article.  Because of that, using pictures, videos, and polls is more likely to lead to a positive score than good grammar.  HubPages is helping us to become good writers - under the newer more modern meaning of the term ‘writer’.  In this new world, mouse clicks carry a higher financial impact than good grammar.

5. Martin-ddp profile image88
    Martin-ddpposted 4 years ago

It got nothing to do with grammar it's all about getting the click on the add. So if you come across a badly written hub you are more likely to click on an add to get out of there. Plus if that badly written hub has all the right keywords and pictures & video. It might start getting a lot of hits from Google which than makes money for hubpages & the writer. So is it really a bad hub. Or is it a very good money making hub

working