jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Does poor grammar irritate you?

1. xanzacow profile image70
    xanzacowposted 4 years ago

Does poor grammar irritate you?

2. swati17 profile image73
    swati17posted 4 years ago

Yes... for example...."lose" and "loose" are different ..
    "you're" and "your" are different too....

But it's definitely not nice to point all this out in a rude manner ...It's not that big a mistake ...that you should make people feel low about it ...

So it should be pointed out but the approach should be constructive and not otherwise.

xanzacowposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I usually do not point it out at all, unless asked. It does not make me dislike the person or article, it just gets under my skin a bit. I have proof read my hubs over and over, and still find errors to correct. Even my own errors irritate me!

3. getitrite profile image79
    getitriteposted 4 years ago

Yes, poor grammar irritates me...especially on a writer's site. 
    My pet peeves involve the examples that you have cited, and others, such as writing "to" instead of "too" and vice versa.  I actually wrote a hub about this.

Also, I have seen the word "definitely" misspelled so many times that it seems the norm is to misspell it.

I had to break the news to my friend that her grammar was atrocious, and that her spelling and sentence structure lacked cohesiveness and clarity.  She is in the process of writing a memoir, and I don't think even the best editors can fix her mammoth mistakes.  But she is very angry that I pointed this out to her, and thinks that I am trying to kill her dream of writing her memoir.

4. rutley profile image72
    rutleyposted 4 years ago

Absolutely!  Especially from educators who constantly have typo's.....is spell check to much to ask?

xanzacowposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes! Yes! Yes! My 6 year old son's teacher has a heck of a time getting his name right. It is Xander. She usually spells it Zander. OOOOOOH! Irritating!

5. ArtzGirl profile image79
    ArtzGirlposted 4 years ago

I write with a cross-bred tendency to write in the style that I was taught in my advertising courses... mixed with my English grammar courses.  I may never win any hubpage.com awards because of this, but I like to punctuate my own paragraphs and headlines the way that I see fit.

Does it bother me to read other author's work that may have "poor grammar"... yes-- and no.  If the message is worth reading, then I can suffer through some rough grammar, but ultimately it would be best to have the grammar and message functioning at a higher level.

However, I don't want to water down my own style.  I like to punctuate however the heck I feel!  Its no fun otherwise!  I refuse to be anything other than ME!!!  Take me or leave me, I write with my own sense of style!

6. Riviera Rose profile image73
    Riviera Roseposted 4 years ago

Yes, yes, yes!!!  Misplaced apostrophes really irritate me, and they crop up even in 'professional' sites such as mainstream newspapers.  Don't they teach anything in school these days?!  I fear I'm becoming a bit of a grumpy old woman though...  wink

working