jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

If you earn a living writing, how many hours a day do you work usually?

1. misslong123 profile image83
    misslong123posted 4 years ago

If you earn a living writing, how many hours a day do you work usually?

2. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I earn part of my living from writing and spend 4 to five hours daily online writing and commenting on hubs.  I feel  the time i have is sufficient for me,.

misslong123posted 4 years agoin reply to this

4-5 hours. That makes me feel better. I never know if I am being overly obsessed with writing too much or if I am just not giving it a chance - not spending enough time. I'm glad I have your vote! Michele

3. ComfortB profile image87
    ComfortBposted 4 years ago

An hour to about 4 hours a day. It depends on what I'm writing.

Great! Thanks for your insight. That is encouraging to me! smile

4. absinfo profile image60
    absinfoposted 4 years ago

This is a conditional question. As you asked writing to earn a living, in that case it totally depends on what you are writing. Because to earn a living by writing, you need to choose a topic which people like to read and search for it and you may not have much knowledge about that topic. So that is the situation it takes lot of time to study and write about that particular topic. In my case, sometimes it takes a day or two or some times a few hours.

Hmmm, ok. So, I'm guessing you spend on average a few hours a day. Keep up the hard work! From what I'm reading it will pay off in the end! smile Thanks for the answer. Michele

5. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

I am a ghostwriter and most of my work take up a lot of hours. Mostly I write novels and novella length fiction. Some nights I get only three to four hours sleep.

The answer to this depends on the type of writing you do, the clients you work with and other varying factors.

I have just completed a series of short story editing and publishing for a client, plus doing four book covers. I am also writing a 50,000 word novel for that same client and a 30,000 word novella for another. These two clients give me creative freedom but I still need to do them as quickly as I can.

You the writer have to choose your hours, what you are happy with or what you can manage.

Wow! When did you start....Er, I mean, how did you get started as a writer? Was it just writing a couple articles on HubPages like I am now? Then, did you build a portfolio or something to get all those gigs? You sound very talented!

2. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I started writing when I was very young. I always considered myself a writer..lol. I wrote some articles for our local paper but only started writing seriously about three years ago.

3. misslong123 profile image83

Wow! Yeah, I loved writing when I was younger; I even did the Young Writer's Conference thing. Have you heard of that? I wrote for our High School newspaper as well. How did you get started making money online?

working