How does one self-promote without sounding shameless?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

How does one self-promote without sounding shameless?

This is specifically about people who self publish a book, but I suppose it also applies to small businesses. I just feel like bringing up my 'product' would be the equivalent of talking to a telemarketer on the phone. It makes the person I'm talking to feel like they've been tricked into an informercial, or like a pop-up just appeared in real life. Maybe they don't actually feel this way, but my fear of coming off as a shameless hack prevents me from promoting my work. Does anyone else run into this problem? And, if so, how do you find a balance?

2. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 10 years ago

If you are talking to an individual and the conversation turns (or is turned) to what you do for a living (or as a hobby), then it would be natural to discuss your writings...or if the topic about what you have written about comes up, the same would apply.  If you gently "steer" the conversation in the desired direction and do it in a manner that seems organic, it is doubtful that anyone would feel "marketed" to.

3. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

Earlier today I was reading about marketing and the author mentioned an 80/20 rule, which in this context means that 80% of your efforts should be adding content useful to your audience and 20% should be for promoting yourself. It was being discussed in the context of social media, but I suppose it could be used for conversations as well. Most of it should be "how's it going...how are the kids..." but a small part could be, "ya, just started working on a new book..."

I don't see anything wrong in that. If you believe in the work you do, you should want to share it with others because it will enrich their lives.

It just can't be ALL you talk about. No one likes that person.

I think the spirit of the 80/20 rule is that promotion should essentially be about establishing relationships, not selling products. Build the relationships and the sales will come. I don't really have any actual experience with marketing, selling, or promoting, though, so who knows if that is useful. Sounds good though.

4. Electro-Denizen profile image80
    Electro-Denizenposted 10 years ago

Personally, I think that sense of feeling shameless is a feeling that an honest person can't ignore, because it comes from correct self-observation (and perhaps, from somewhere even deeper than that).

But some things help people and add value to their life. If that is the case, I'd say it's good and proper to have natural enthusiasm for what one is doing and if it becomes a natural extension of oneself, and of one's general work and progress in life, then it has it's place in being promoted. In fact, if that is the case, it might not even feel like shameless promotion, it'll happen effortlessly and naturally, like water sparkling.

I've thought about this a great deal. There are people who shamelessly self-promote, without the wider good of the world in mind. These are dead ends in my view. Only small gains to be made. Big gains (in terms of acclaim and wider consequences etc) are usually made from effortless talent and just being joyful in what one is doing.

"I've even written a book on it!" ;-)
    "Have you?!"
    "It took me ages, years to write, it was such hard work. It's on Amazon, finally."

I think there's humility in that.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

When speaking to people face to face, I agree with the the responses already posted. I never start a conversation with "Let me tell you what I'm writing" or anything else about my books. If someone asks me what I've been up to, I'll mention it but not press the conversation unless they ask more questions.

On-line is a little different. Depending on the site, you can be "in your face" with promotion. Say you have a FB page about you and your books. I think there you can post what you're writing, when your books become available, etc because that's often why people follow those pages. That said, I still like to add posts which ask more general questions about what the readers like in books, their favorite authors, etc. It lets them know I not care about my writing career, but also them as real people.

At places such as here at HP where blatant self-promotion isn't allowed, you can still promote yourself without sounding like an infomercial. When the situation arises in whatever topic you're writing about, you can add comments such as "I believe enough in this issue to discuss it in more detail in my non-fiction book [place title here]. Or if your hub is about writing, you can use your own characters, settings, and plots as examples. You can also mention your personal experiences as a writer and state what tips worked best for you. There are a lot of little things you can add which don't come off sounding that much like self-promotion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)