jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do you have a ritual?

1. sehrm profile image79
    sehrmposted 4 years ago

Do you have a ritual?

Pertaining to writing -- whatever you are writing -- do you have a ritual that promotes the writing process? I have to clean my laptop before I start writing.  I also have to sit angled leftward. Lastly, I must have music on, otherwise I know myself to get easily distracted. What are some of your oddball rituals?

2. antigone0927 profile image61
    antigone0927posted 4 years ago

Hi there!

In my case, I dont really have a ritual, as you may call it, but coffee is a stimulant that ignites my brain cells and therefore, quite a necessity before I start writing. Also, when I write something, as much as possible I want time alone. It greatly helps me think and garner up ideas.

When I come to think of it, I guess my type of ballpen could be one thing strange. I prefer using 0.5 tipped ballpens, not thicker like 0.7. Makes me yearn to write for more even if at times I dont really have anything to write about.

3. DamienAlexander profile image59
    DamienAlexanderposted 4 years ago

I have to know I'm meant to be doing something else. It's absurd, but I'm both a born procrastinator and ridiculously insecure about my writing skill. So if I have something else to do I kind of just work on it until it gets a little difficult and then put it away and either play a game (most of the time) or write something (rarer) although now that I've joined HP I do spend a higher percentage of procrastinating time writing.

You did ask... :p

4. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

I too kinda' like that cup of coffee and I can make the second cup last for hours. The ritual is firing up the coffee pot. I wipe down the Mr. Coffee maker while I clear my thoughts like in the movie 'For Love of the Game.' That clears 'the mechanism' of unnecessary thoughts - what is the weather, what do I have to do today, and etc. Then follow by adding coffee, which oddly I do twice. I usually (9/10) times lose count how many scoops, even though only five. Water is added, switch the button to on, and then I watch it brew and drip. That is when I go from a cleared mechanism to a blank mind or stop thinking. I just marvel at the pot filling up, yet have enough feeling of anticipation offering excitement to brew too. Once the mug is prepared, a sip, walk to the desk, then I am  now ready to begin.

5. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I clean my computer daily  before use  and listen to a South African radio station while writing.

6. sehrm profile image79
    sehrmposted 4 years ago

Great stuff! I, too, must have coffee -- at least in my system -- before beginning to write. I also recently quit smoking, but before that cigarettes were involved in my routine.

7. Lyricallor profile image70
    Lyricallorposted 4 years ago

I do Art to music, but when it comes to writing I just let it happen when things start happening in my head. The only thing that interferes with the process is having clutter around my desk.

8. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 4 years ago

Not so much a ritual as a routine.
    I seem to spend a lot of time waiting for the Internet to sort itself out, but aside from that there's usually a set of e-mails to take care of, messages to answer etc.
    Then I can get on with the 'real thing' - no, not Coke! Writing book five, WAYFARER. Chapter six and over 180 pages so far.
    Bags of time to the autumn - fall to you across the Pond - when it can be put out to an expectant audience, gagging to rush out - no, sorry, go .into the Internet and order their copies.
    Rituals? Haven't got the time for that!

9. Emmyboy profile image83
    Emmyboyposted 4 years ago

No, not really.

I just get the vibe, the inspiration, the push to write and off I go.

I don't like rituals as a person probably because I get bored easily with repetitive things.

working