jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How do you personally overcome writer's block, or not knowing what to write abou

1. tehgyb profile image84
    tehgybposted 4 years ago

How do you personally overcome writer's block, or not knowing what to write about?

When you've got the urge to write, but no inspiration or ideas on what to write - what do you do to overcome it?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8820342_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

READ
    That's what I do! I read questions, articles, or whatever until I find something where I have a very strong opinion about it one way or another and then I'm able to create my own article/hub showcasing my opinion. It's even better if I disagree with the article.
    Sometimes I get ideas from reading HP's Q&A and oftentimes I get ideas from one of my groups on LinkedIn which post questions and articles. In other instances events in the news work.
    I imagine it may be more of a challenge for someone looking to write a novel or fictional material. I tend to specialize in the topic of gender relations/dating, marriage, and so on.

3. JayFS profile image67
    JayFSposted 4 years ago

The easiest solution to this is to stay on topic with something that is always changing, such as the news, an online game you're playing, a show you're watching, etc. That way  there's always something to comment about.

If even after this you are STILL stuck, then don't force it and go out and do something else. I find that my article ideas often come to when I'm doing something else, like when I'm in the car or when I'm eating.

4. Ashley Humphrey profile image60
    Ashley Humphreyposted 4 years ago

There are theories that thinking sexually and getting in the mood actually might help writers block. But if that's too much for you, coffee and a tight schedule help the brain unlock. Wake up early and on the hour, the same hour, every day, and grab some coffee. Writers block has an infinite number of reasons of why it happens. But thinking about it doesn't help. Listen to music. Go see a movie. Read a book. Anything that stimulates the brain will let your juices flow! So go write smile

5. lovebuglena profile image88
    lovebuglenaposted 4 years ago

Reading stuff written by other writers whether it'd be articles, or blogs, or even books can certainly help give you ideas on what to write about. You can even go on sites like yahoo for inspiration. Also try to think about what interests you, what things you've experienced lately and that can help you come up with what to write about.

6. enjoy life profile image77
    enjoy lifeposted 4 years ago

I think it is important to understand yourself, and how you function. This is something you learn over time and we are all different. What works for one may not work for another, although tips from others can point you in the right direction.

I find that trying to force ideas when they are not flowing seems make things worse.

A relaxed mind is important too. Stress, negative emotions etc can all add to the problem.

I also find that it is useful to note down ideas when they do come. I have many ideas noted down that I have not yet fully developed, however as I get additional thoughts on those ideas, I add them in. I often start a new document on a new idea, and work on it slowly as I get a few thoughts about it. That way, I have multiple topics going at any one time, and if I do not feel like writing about one topic, I can easily find another that I have already started something on.

I have a hub about Writers Block that you may find useful:
    http://enjoylife.hubpages.com/hub/write … o-overcome

7. zebulum profile image79
    zebulumposted 4 years ago

Write anyway, even if it's terrible. Don't worry if it's good or bad. Even if you have to throw out everything you write, the repetition of the act, itself, will create a habit that you can support. Writing is a form of self-hypnosis, best done by consistent application of a routine. In this, you will trick yourself into doing it well, and work through all blockage.

8. gposchman profile image83
    gposchmanposted 4 years ago

First ask yourself a question: what do I want to write about?  Then find something written in that subject matter and read it.  Look for something incidental that catches your attention, then research it a little or a lot and then answer the question that comes to you.  After awhile you will be writing again.

Good Luck.

Gene Poschman
    Author of Jonas Watcher: The Case of the Running Bag
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/420969

working