jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

How do you overcome writer's block?

1. whthadhappen profile image66
    whthadhappenposted 7 years ago

How do you overcome writer's block?

2. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 7 years ago

do something else til an idea pops into my head.

3. equebee profile image58
    equebeeposted 7 years ago

Go out for a walk, study the sky, hear the birds singing and observe all that is happening around you.  Suddenly ideas will flood your brain and you run back to your computer to write all the ideas down into stories.

4. Marie McKeown profile image95
    Marie McKeownposted 7 years ago

I write about my writer's block!
    Whatever comes into my head I just put it down on the page, all the frustration, until the words start to flow again ...

5. barbergirl28 profile image77
    barbergirl28posted 7 years ago

Live life... if we do nothing but sit in front of a computer and type we will slowly run out of ideas. When we live a little, we cause our creativity to explode... therefore giving us things to write about.

If you are like me, however, I get writer's block when I have too many ideas running in my head and I can't concentrate on just one. Then, I take a little breather. I might take a break from writing and answer questions like I am doing write now. Or, I will brainstorm. Whether this is doing it the old fashioned way and just doodling words on paper or putting up word on your computer and typing until something happens.

6. Colby Alan profile image58
    Colby Alanposted 7 years ago

Fiction: Do an exercise. I find the constraints of an exercise force me to think and write something.

Nonfiction: They don't happen. It's impossible. There are too many thins I'm passionate about, that I want to write and inform people about.

7. nifty@50 profile image73
    nifty@50posted 7 years ago

The best way to overcome writer's block...is to write about writer's block! LOL! Seriously, try it and once you break the ice you'll come to realize that you can write about anything ( it's really liberating)!

8. YoungWife profile image70
    YoungWifeposted 7 years ago

I know its weird to say but i get most of my enlightenment when I am in the shower. Its a place to think clearly and it has always helped me when i have issues. Also I search through google images that have relevance to my book or story and that too usually helps some.I hope that helps some.

9. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

Personally, I usually have three or four different projects going on at one time, so if I get stumped on one I just put it down for a while. After some time I come back and look at it again with a fresh perspective, if I'm still stumped, I put it down again and move on.
    Basically I repeat that process until I either have a breakthrough, or I lock myself in a room and go through it until It's finished.

10. Hunbbel Meer profile image86
    Hunbbel Meerposted 7 years ago

I agree with barbergirl28 .. LIVE LIFE

Keep your eyes and ears open, you will never get out of ideas.
    From the fan to the Air Conditioner, to your keyboard, the arrangement of the alphabets on that keyboard. Ideas are all scattered around us. Don't worry about that smile

Even this "NO IDEA DILEMMA" may be turned out as another hub big_smile lol

11. Tess45 profile image81
    Tess45posted 7 years ago

Write.  I know that sounds counter-intuitive but it really does work. Just start writing. By hand, not on the computer. Write anything that comes in to your head, even if it's only "doodle, doodle, doodle." Make yourself do this for at least twenty minutes.  Then  go back and highlight anything that sparks your creative juices.  If that doesn't work do some random google searches or read your favorite blog or read the work of your favorite hubber. Usually this will spark something and get you writing again. Good luck!