What does the word 'Drought' stand for?

1. Haseena Firdousia profile image71
    Haseena Firdousiaposted 3 years ago

What does the word 'Drought' stand for?

2. PegCole17 profile image96
    PegCole17posted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8880976_f260.jpg

Drought is generally a word for an extended period of dry weather so lacking in rain that it injures crop production. Texas is under a drought that has been ongoing for years. Two thirds of the state is affected. Here, we've seen less than half of our normal yearly rainfall. Our nearby lake is down around 10 feet lower than normal. Many of the trees in my yard have died due to exposed roots when the dirt cracks open revealing gashes inches wide that go deep into the earth.
    It can also mean a scarcity or lack as in "I'm going through a drought in my creative writing juices."

3. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 3 years ago

It's an excuse for the Water Board to whack up their bills and impose a hose-pipe ban. Even when it rains again they'll say 'it's the wrong kind of rain'.
    We've had a few here over the years (that WAS a surprise for you, I could see the eyebrows lift). The longest period we had without rain was 1976, when we had no rain all summer. The Thames was well down, just a channel down the middle! The same year - in mid-June - there was snow on the moor near where I used to live. The weather's made up for it since then, like a famous British 'boy-band' - 'Wet, wet,wet'..

working