jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What is your secret as a writer in the ability to have several writing projects

1. brakel2 profile image81
    brakel2posted 3 years ago

What is your secret as a writer in the ability to have several writing projects going at same time?

2. blake4d profile image60
    blake4dposted 3 years ago

Mental schizophrenia. You have to be able to make leaps and tangents in many directions, without getting so caught up in any of them, that they take over your time. Kind of the opposite of daydreaming, I suppose.

3. Melissa Noon profile image78
    Melissa Noonposted 3 years ago

I go for what excites me the day. Sometimes I want to just do research and writing based on that, sometimes I have a craving to work on one of my short stories, and sometimes I have a itch to focus on one of mg two novels

4. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

I bore easily, so I tend to keep work for a few clients going at once and switch periodically throughout the day.  I may do a blog post for one client in the morning, then do marketing materials for the other in the afternoon.  If the morning stuff isn't flowing or I'm not feeling it, I'll switch to another project to get the juices going. 

I try very hard to do one thing at a time despite having several things to do per day, but sometimes I do switch around.  If it's hard for you, make a priority list and do your assignments in order.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

When people ask me what I'm writing right now, I always say I'm working on two new books, which is only half true. I edited one, set it aside, then edited another one. When that one is finished, I'll go back to the first one. So, I don't work on only one book until it's done. But it doesn't mean I'm jumping back and forth on a day to day basis. The key, I think, is being able to focus on just one, even if it's only for an hour or so. Tiny bits of progress, no matter how small, are still progress.

6. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 3 years ago

I follow my heart every time I write. If my inner feeling is that I must write a certain thing, I write it.

And if I don't have that feeling, I focus on working on and finishing the one item that is practically the one I want to get done.

I find that by respecting my inner artists and his sensitive feelings, I can keep many writing projects going at once.

1. brakel2 profile image81
      brakel2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

i find your method enlightening, that you follow your inner feelings. Your ease at perfecting that practice must make your writing fulfilling.

working