jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

To what would you write an ode?

1. ThompsonPen profile image78
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

To what would you write an ode?

What is worthy of your time and devotion in ode form?

2. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 3 years ago

Not that I'm likely to write one (I'm pretty much prosaic in my outlook), but odes are usually dedicated to beautiful things, women, flowers, that sort of thing.

[I associate 'odes' with the UK tv series 'Up Pompeii', the main character being the slave Lurcio - lurk - played by comedian  Frankie Howerd. The series was a mickey-taking venture, sending up Roman culture (in the aftermath of the discovery of Pompeii, when fairly graphic scenes of daily life were depicted on the walls of houses etc). The lovesick son of the master of the house spent his time unsuccessfully trying to compose an ode to his girlfriend, aided and abetted in his amorous pursuits by Lurcio].
    (Exeunt stage left).

3. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 3 years ago

Write an ode to anything you wish to honour in a special way. I have written one dedicated to a fellow Hubber who inspired me, to Robin Williams after his death etc. I have even seen odes written to celebrate the seasons or a true love.

1. ThompsonPen profile image78
      ThompsonPenposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Classically, odes are written for love or nature based things. I'm just curious as to what the good people of Hubpages would want to write an ode to.

4. Chris Neal profile image78
    Chris Nealposted 3 years ago

It would have to be something truly awesome. The earth, maybe. God, of course.

5. Vvitta profile image61
    Vvittaposted 3 years ago

My ode would be to a trickling spring that flows gently in the woods. It inspires so much and allows so much of soul searching.

6. lambservant profile image95
    lambservantposted 3 years ago

As this is fall seaon, I would love to write an ode to the season. I can think of many more to write one to: God, my grandchildren, people that have passed that meant a lot to me.

1. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 3 years agoin reply to this

All very worthy lambservant. I just wrote one to Little Miss Muffet... smile

7. Seafarer Mama profile image87
    Seafarer Mamaposted 3 years ago

A sunflower, a forest, the rolling sea...and maybe even my daughter. ~:0)

1. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 3 years agoin reply to this

All perfect subjects for odes.

8. maven101 profile image80
    maven101posted 3 years ago

Keats's 'Ode on a Grecian Urn' is the penultimate illustration of what an Ode should be...An ode should be to something, someone, that inspires, that elevates the human soul, that yearns to hold that substance of precious attributes unique unto our world....an ode should be honest and sincere, given by the heart and appreciated by the mind...The profound declaration, which encapsulates very neatly Keats's philosophical approach to poetry, that 'Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty' binds his Ode to a very human appreciation of art and life...

If asked, I would pen an Ode to my cat, Simon...A handicapped cat from birth that was born deaf, as are most blue-eyed white male cats...I promised to protect him from harm but failed...He licked a next-door neighbors anti-freeze in his garage and was put down because he was in terrible pain...That was 12 years ago and I still carry the guilt...My Ode would be to the wonderful time we had together, which I miss dearly...