jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Does Although and Even Though mean the same thing? How do you choose which one t

1. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 3 years ago

Does Although and Even Though mean the same thing? How do you choose which one to use?

I wrote "Even though" for a writing assignment, and the reviewer changed it to "Although".  Don't they mean the same thing? Is there a time when one is more appropriate than the other?

2. Dressage Husband profile image78
    Dressage Husbandposted 3 years ago

There is a slight difference in that even though is emphasising the fact that this would be extremely improbable. Although is more of this made it less probable, but not statistically that unlikely.

Hope that helps and maybe you can now correct the editor it really does depend on context and what your emphasis is. I can not say which is correct as that is a matter of what you intended as the writer, however contextually the editor may be correct too.

3. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 3 years ago

'Even though' is equivalent to 'despite the fact that', whereas 'although' is the conjunctive of 'though', i.e.,
    'Even though Jack was badly wounded, he carried on with his duty';
    'We might make the pub before closing, although we will only have enough time for one drink'..
    Case closed?

4. profile image58
    DannoManposted 3 years ago

There is some overlap in meaning, but there are some minor distinctions, too. Context is the cue that will identify the best of these two alternatives for what it is you are trying to say.

For an editor to make such a change I would have to see the context to gain any sort of clue as to what they may have been thinking. A change such as this does seem, on the surface, to be somewhat dubious. Perhaps if you posted the entire sentence or sentences that pertain?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image92
      Millionaire Tipsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The work is confidential, and I don't want to even try to approximate it. The context was close to what Alan said:  "Even though Jack was badly wounded, he carried on with his duty."

2. profile image58
      DannoManposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well, your example all by itself would seem to accept either alternative equally well. But if 'even though' were used again somewhere in the same paragraph, it would make sense to change one of them. I am reduced to just guessing at this point.

working