Why do poems even though well written have a low hub score?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. clivewilliams profile image71
    clivewilliamsposted 9 years ago

Why do poems even though well written have a low hub score?

Poems are not really lengthy and most poems carry less than 1250 words. Why don't poems have a different rating than a regular article?

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Unfortunately poetry doesn't rank high in Google searches Clive that is why they get low hub scores. About 80% of my hubs are poetry.  Fortunately HP are lenient towards them in regard to guidelines for being featured etc and they are not forced to have as many words pictures etc as other types of hubs. I learnt however to add additional text(prose) about the subject of the poem, some statistics and a video to help raise the hub score of poetry hubs.

clivewilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's good jodah, but i think that their should be a different hub score rating for poetry

3. Risa Stewart profile image61
    Risa Stewartposted 9 years ago

I think people look more into reading articles about self help, entertainment and anything in between. Just not many people interested in reading poetry anymore. I still enjoy reading and writing them.

That's sad, poetry can be quite imaginable, entertaining and even informative, its what we put in the pudding gives it the taste.

4. monic-alang profile image68
    monic-alangposted 9 years ago

If you are talking about hub score then it depends on hub capsules Images, polls and after that it depends on If people want to read them or not but by maintaining capsules with quality and reasonable content my hubs are just getting well scores....

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Most online publishers are primarily interested in the number of click throughs and length of time a reader stays on a page.
    These are the selling points they can give their sponsors/advertisers to justify their rates..
    Take TV for example. Each week the Nielsen ratings are released. They list the top 100 or more shows from the previous week. They don't care if a show is a sitcom, drama, documentary, reality show, a movie, or sporting event. It's about total viewers and the 18-49 demo.
    The #1 show is the number one show because it had the most viewers and that's all the (producers and advertisers) care about when it comes to money.
    Poetry is not a very popular item to search and read for pleasure. It would be the equivalent of PBS  if it were on television.

Quite true

6. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

Poetry hubs have low scores because that's how HP 'quantifies' them. Having a low hub score can be a pain but you have to remember that it is only a number, a sort of arbitrary number designed to fit in with other criteria like Google worthiness and silly stuff like that.

If I write a poetry hub I tend to put lots of smaller poems into one hub and base my poems on a theme - say Birds - add a little bit of text to introduce the reader and add images too.

Please don't let a low hub score put you off writing poetry.Keep at it.

Thanks man, appreciated

7. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

Poetry and creative writing do not do well on HP.  I have written these as well.  And it may be the poems do not rank high in Google ratings as another answer said.  You can try submitting your poems on a blog and see how they go.  Or make a creative writing blog and put back links to your poetry hubs.  Maybe a line or two then a link to the hub.

Thanks for the advice

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.  For a hub to rank it has to be SEO friendly, with strong key words.  SEO=Search Engine Optimization

8. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 9 years ago

You have some good responses to your question here, but maybe I can add some additional information to help you combat how Poems are valued, ranked and scored. (I work for a web development firm and head their online marketing/SEO department, helping their 500+ clients rank on search engines, so I hope this helps you add some value to what he are doing here on HubPages ;-) ).

Poetry as well as creative writing is not considered as "valuable" as other hubs by Hub-pages because they are not considered to contain as valuable of information by Google as other websites and webpages.

Even if your poem addresses a certain issue, such as domestic abuse or marriage- it will more than likely not do as well as an article on the same subject matter unless you can spruce up its value. Google puts more value on sites/webpages that provide beneficial information. Other than a level of entertainment, poetry often lacks this "benefit" and as previously mentioned, lacks the word count recommended as a Google Best Practice. Although you do not need to write 1250 words, the more the better (to increase your chances of being crawled and indexed, your hubs need to have at least a 250-300 word-count).

To help your Poetry Hubs out a little bit, be straight forward and generate titles that contain specific words that could be considered search words related to the subject of the writing.
    IE- An Original Poem- Domestic Abuse in America
    or   Life after Marriage- Prose Poetry

Also, consider writing an explanation or additional content in your poetry hubs that will give it more benefit. This should be done in an separate text capsule, and make sure you take advantage of the option to add a Title to that capsule that is again to the point about the poem and the content that is being added.
    IE- Add some facts to the content apart from the poem-
    Domestic Abuse in America is on a rise, says a "Statewide Report by ABC Company is Your town, USA.
    or include your experience with that subject and why you are writing about it. (but any statistics or facts you can include the better chance the poem has to perform).

When you add images to your hubs, again-use the titles for each capsule to drop in a subject related phrase, use unique images (99 out of 100 times, I use my own original images on my hubs), if you use your own images, be the source and add the URL from your HubPage profile as well as a sentence that relates the poem to the image.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse

very useful and informative...thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)