jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Are writers more prone to being loners?

1. honghanhvt1182 profile image97
    honghanhvt1182posted 3 years ago

Are writers more prone to being loners?

It seems to me that as a writer, you would have to spend a lot of time to do research, read, brainstorm things to write, contemplate on ideas and concepts. Most of these things take time and must be done on your own. So, do you think that being a writer simultaneously means being a loner?

2. PurvisBobbi44 profile image80
    PurvisBobbi44posted 3 years ago

Hi honghanhvt 1182,

A believe a good writer needs balance in their life, a time for their writing and time to refresh their minds with social activities with friends and family. I love long walks when I can think about what I want to share on my HubPages and one of my 12 blogs.

Being alone too much is not a healthy habit for anyone---get outside and blow the cobwebs out of your mind so the wheels of thought can surprise you with a good article.

Have a great week.

Bobbi Purvis

3. Ben Zoltak profile image84
    Ben Zoltakposted 3 years ago

Great observation honghanhvt1182 ! I don't think it means you have to be a loner, but I think it can go both ways. That is, I think "loners" may oftentimes become writers. You are correct though, about the research and time it takes to "contemplate on ideas", that certainly lends itself to time alone. Although in many cultures, French and Amsterdammers come to mind, a lot of dialogue between writers happens in social situations, such as coffee houses and cafes.

For myself, I never felt like I fit in when I was younger. I spent a lot of time making art, reading and writing. When I first started writing I didn't think of myself as a "writer", as I'm sure most people don't. But now I do, and when I write, it is almost always alone. Although currently my kids are making a lot of racket watching cartoons and banging toys on the ground so unfortunately I write when I can and can only dream of that kind of solitude haha! Truth be told though, I edited some poetry yesterday as I sat around a bonfire in my backyard, delicious and sweet time alone! Now I consider myself a somewhat accomplished artist and author (I've published one inspirational self-help type book on Amazon and I'm working on putting out a collection of poetry).

Great question!

Ben Zoltak

4. FreakFran profile image77
    FreakFranposted 3 years ago

because writing is a work you should do alone, some of us indeed forget to develop our social skills I guess....

5. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I think there are definitely some social writers out there. The marketing/publishing side of the writing world is all about making connections with people, in order to be successful. However, I would say that, for the most part, people who are loners are drawn to writing. It's an approved form of silent contemplation. We can sit for hours with just our thoughts and it's okay because we're producing something with that time. They might be at a disadvantage when they get to the marketing/publishing side of things, but I do think that the majority are loners.

6. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 3 years ago

Although indeed some authors/writers are; I contemplate if a stage in their book's genesis that involved a kabal of constructive critics would strengthen their works. Perhaps John R. R. Tolkein's, Victor Hugo's and C. S. Lewis' works (among others) were significant examples of authors that  enhanced their works by the weekly Inkling meets of cooperative and contemplative criticism with a touch of alcohol at Oxford...