jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

DCMA charging

1. tillsontitan profile image88
    tillsontitanposted 3 years ago

DCMA charging

Is anyone aware DCMA now charges $10 for a one time take down of a violation?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12202642_f260.jpg

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 3 years ago

No and thank you for sharing. Causes one to ponder why. Causes one to ponder value and worth. I don't know enough of the DCMA to know where past funding came from. Apparently there is a demand and supply is abundant. Causes one to ponder more.

1. tillsontitan profile image88
      tillsontitanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I was dumbfounded by the charge Tim.  Your ponderings are certainly accurate.

2. Cobrafan profile image80
      Cobrafanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It costs nothing to send a DMCA notice. You just have to fill it our yourself. You can pay someone else do it, which is was this questions is referring to but then you have to decide if it's worth saving that time to pay someone else to do it.

3. Romanian profile image74
    Romanianposted 3 years ago

This will favorize big companies, which had enough money to pay for takedowns. But small bloggers, from which their content it's stolen don't have anything to do.

1. Cobrafan profile image80

You can still send a DMCA notice for free. Third party companies are just trying to make money by doing it for you, thus saving you time and making them money.

2. Romanian profile image74
      Romanianposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's good. I was afraid that now we have to pay for DMCA takedowns.

4. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

DMCA stands for Digital Millennium Copyright Act. It's a set of laws, not an entity that can charge money for something.

Every web hosting company has a process for filing a DMCA complaint. These are free to file. Don't waste your time going through third-parties. File the standard complaint document with the hosting company, at their abuse address.

1. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

^ This absolutely.  A 3rd party can charge you if you want, but under the law you have every right to file takedown notices on your own, free of charge.

2. Craig Suits profile image78
      Craig Suitsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info.......

5. bravewarrior profile image93
    bravewarriorposted 3 years ago

Mary, you can file them on your own without going through a 3rd party. HP has a template you can use or look up one of RachaelOhalloran's http://rachaelohalloran.hubpages.com/ hubs on filing DCMAs. She may have a template or at least what information you should include. You send them directly to the owner of the site and the webhost.

1. bravewarrior profile image93
      bravewarriorposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Mary, go into your HP account and click on copied Hubs. You'll see DMCA and a link to file. That link gives you the template you can copy into your email. I'd save it in Word first in case you need it again.

2. tillsontitan profile image88
      tillsontitanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much Sha.  I'll be away for three days.  Not sure I can do it on all my iPad, will when I come back when I find out who they are.

6. profile image57
    Kathryn Judyposted 3 years ago

Not knowing what the DCMA is, I have not heard this information. I am one ignorant woman trying to get smarter.

1. Craig Suits profile image78
      Craig Suitsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Good for you Kathryn, I'm 73 and been working computers everyday for 20 odd years. I have no idea what a DCMA is either. LOL

2. Cobrafan profile image80

DMCA stands for Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Filling out the form and sending it to a website owner who has stolen your content is basically a "takedown notice." After which you are free to file a lawsuit against them for stealing your content.

working