jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What are the KEY differences between confidence, arrogance, & conceit?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What are the KEY differences between confidence, arrogance, & conceit?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8360819_f260.jpg

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

I don't know.  There is a branch of my family that always knows they are right.  All of them - and there's about 30 of them.  On the one hand, I so admire that kind of confidence.  On the other hand, it is irritating as Hell.  And they are often proved wrong.  Still, that doesn't phase them.  It's amazing.

1. Gordon Wright profile image76
      Gordon Wrightposted 2 years agoin reply to this

People like that are toxic. They're also seductive to the weak-minded. I did a piece on that.

Some one who knows his limitations can very confident within his limitations.

3. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

Good Morning Grace.  You certainly can come up with questions that make us sit up straight and use our brain cells.  I'll do my best to answer.   I'm sure you have met these 3 women.  It's not difficult to tell them apart.  They can't hide their various characteristics from the experienced wise individual.
    "Connie Confidence," carries herself with a subtle but obvious air of self assuredness.  She's slow to speak and quick with a smile, always patient and in control.  Connie is happy and comfortable with her talents and accomplishments.  She feels no need to constantly compete.  She knows what she wants and how to achieve it.  There's no need for Connie to boast.  Others can easily see this woman has inner strength and a willingness to take on interesting challenges.

"Aurora Arrogance"  would like very much to be like Connie, but poor woman lacks the finesse.   She's more about outer appearances and doesn't trust others to recognize her "greatness."  As a result, Aurora can be a bit annoying, pushy and intolerant.  She tries too hard and just seems to miss the mark.  She usually winds up with only her smug attitude to keep her warm

Then there's Miss "Concetta Conceit".....Self absorption at it's worst.  She's that one in the crowd who feels the absolute right to push her way through, stepping on everyone else to get to the front of the line. (After all, she deserves to be first)  If you make the mistake of giving her the time of day, she'll surely take it.  She'll make it ALL about her.  Concetta uses the words, "I, me and mine" in every sentence.  Her favorite expression is, "I love ME, who do you love?"  Her opinion of herself is of the highest.  If you don't believe how perfect she is.....just ask her.

OK Grace, I must run now.  If you run into these ladies today, give them my best.  I've no doubt you'll be prepared for all 3 of them!  Thanks for the opportunity.  Peace, Paula

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great response!

2. phoenix2327 profile image81
      phoenix2327posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I guess the defining factor between these ladies is how they make others feel.  People court Connie's company, tolerate Aurora's and avoid Concetta's.

working