jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What is wrong with The Twilight Saga for young girls inspiring 50 Shades of Abus

1. Misfit Chick profile image73
    Misfit Chickposted 23 months ago

What is wrong with The Twilight Saga for young girls inspiring 50 Shades of Abuse for their moms?

I asked for help to get a message out to Fifty Shades fans about HOW - specifically Fifty Shades of Grey is abuse. Most people decided to ignore my nice post (that's how it started out anyway, ha!); not listen and accuse me of censorship. I'm pretty sure that informing fans of potentially life-saving info is not censorship. *I* am one of those really WEIRD people who thinks these movies almost NEED to come out so that the majority of Mr. Grey's fans can SEE what abuse looks like. FSoG was written like it was because of Twilight. What is wrong with that? http://hub.me/afKNf

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12928595_f260.jpg

2. Misfit Chick profile image73
    Misfit Chickposted 23 months ago

I can't respond because these apparently tender hearts 'told' on me and I'm banned from further responding to my own question for a few days. But, here is the original question that prompted me to ramp a question up about Fifty Shades. You can expect me to keep this subject in front of everyone's nose as much as possible. By the way, I DO have an already-written response just WAITING for 'time to be up'. wink http://hubpages.com/literature/forum/13 … es-of-grey

1. tamarawilhite profile image92
      tamarawilhiteposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Read the hub, voted up.
      I hate how 50 shades of gray essentially normalizes domestic emotional and physical abuse - but it's OK because he's rich.
      And Twilight says you can stalk someone, drive people to edge of suicide and (indirectly) kill them

2. Misfit Chick profile image73
      Misfit Chickposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Thanks again. It really is amazing how many people are so clueless about how these books were published. Obsessions cloud judgement. Many people DO care. Those are the people that need to be reached to help get the message details about abuse out.

3. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 23 months ago

There was an excellent article, I think on Cracked, about how Fifty Shades of Gray was following the cult programming steps exactly - from picking the naive person to showing them the wonders to isolating them to making them commit to recommitting.
    And in the name of "love", she gives up her independence and accepts physical abuse.
    You can't say beating a woman is unacceptable, domestic abuse is evil, and then show "50 Shades of Gray" as sexy and acceptable.

Regarding "Twilight", Edmond is a creepy stalker held up as a romantic icon. He says he's protective, but he puts her life at danger, and his on again / off again moodiness almost drives her to suicide and then he considers suicide. Talk about unstable people pulling someone into a dangerous relationship. The only "special" thing about Bella is that he can't read her mind, but otherwise, a man saying he knows what she's thinking is a way to control her, by making them distrust their own judgement.

1. Misfit Chick profile image73
      Misfit Chickposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Thank you, if for no other reason - than to demonstrate that *I* am not alone in this opinion, nor 'crazy'. I'm really starting to become frustrated with that accusation. Maybe that is becoming obvious. I do walk away at times or I would break. Peace

working