This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Why is HubPages discouraging it's writers instead of encouraging us?

1. Shyron E Shenko profile image80
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 2 years ago

Why is HubPages discouraging it's writers instead of encouraging us?

Every time I publish a hub, every time my Hubber score drops between 1-3 Points,  which is very discouraging.
    Are HP moderators writers or wannabe writers who was rewrite our articles to suit themselves?

2. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 2 years ago

lol They have insufferable rules in my opinion. I personally do not care about points, ratings, or anything of that matter. I started writing here six years ago and I never asked for money, or anything else other than just posting my writing without interference. They cannot seem to do that though.
    I get all sorts of warnings, like on my last hub - someone at Hub-pages just did not like the topic I wrote on, even though I did research for it, I posted quotes, videos, etc. Mehh ... lol I really don't care much. I bring them readers, not many that's true but they should have the decency of not messing with my writing. : )

Shyron E Shenkoposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Mr. Happy, I love your last line here "have the decency of not messing with my writing.

3. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

I wish I knew the answer, Shyron. It is frustrating that's for sure. All they are really interested in at the moment are making the niche sites a success.

Thank you John, it is frustrating for sure, but they should not score our hubs/us at all, some fine writers have a low score and tends to make others less likely to read what they have written.

4. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 2 years ago

The hubsocre is a useless metric. Just ignore it and focus on writing great content. Don't forget, HP is not trying to do this on purpose. They are under staffed and just using some basic AI program to help with quality assessment. It is primative and still needs a lot of improvements.

Thank you for the comment Jack. Yes it is primitive.

5. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

Shyron,  With having had my rant recently, what I think is no secret at all.  Frankly, every time I log on and SEE that number next to my name, my stomach turns, my spirit deflates and my motivation is sinking.  I'm hanging on by one thread....and that is that I cringe when I think about leaving my fabulous friends.  I fear that soon even that love for everyone will not keep me here.
    I have vowed not to dwell on this, which clearly feels like an unjust personal attack.  But since our numbers are in our faces, it's next to impossible to remain unconcerned.  You use the word, "discouraged."  The way this happened to me, so abruptly, such a huge drop....no reason, no explanation, no nothing.....the immediate response IS discouragement.  Are we expected to be robots with no emotions?  I'm afraid I can't do that.
    I'm working feverishly on editing, but between you & me, GF, I don't know why I'm bothering. 
    At the end of the day Shyron, when we put our time, talents & motivation into something, it is a sensitive personal issue.  When we're doing quite well in all aspects, to suddenly be blown to bits with no warning, exactly how should we be expected to simply accept such unfairness and abuse?
    They go merrily on their way, being mysteriously silent, coming through with their swords to slash our work, worse, they take control and literally change our work. Bottom line?  As heartbreaking as it is to admit, to those in charge, we really are not human beings but instead we merely represent "numbers" to them.  Just as any business or corporation sees nothing, recognizes no one.....they just remain frozen to their bottom line.  To answer your question Shyron,  where are we to look for "encouragement??"

Paula, you like our friend Ruby (always exploring) are a gem of a friend.  HP should let other Hubbers rate our work, but that would not do, because all my Hubber friends would be 100+.
      Thank you for your answer.
      Blessings and hugs

6. Dana Tate profile image88
    Dana Tateposted 2 years ago

I understand how you feel Shyron, sometimes I get discouraged when I see my hub score fluctuate up and down. It's easy to say "don't let It bother you" but realistically we are creative people who are passionate about our work the same as any artist. When you see your scores go up and down and you know you put a lot of work and effort into it- it makes you feel as if all your efforts were in vain.

1. Faith Reaper profile image87
      Faith Reaperposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dana, you've stated it so perfectly, being we are creative people who are passionate about our work and for our score to go up and down so fast without any warning or explanation is mind-boggling for sure.  I wonder if it is really Google?

working