jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How to write in a personable way without letting your real identity be known to

1. Misty May profile image82
    Misty Mayposted 19 months ago

How to write in a personable way without letting your real identity be known to those who know you?

I love to write but I don't want friends and family reading (and commenting) on the things I write, I'm really self conscience in real life but love the ability to write and speak my mind on an online platform and was just wondering the best way I can write but make sure if someone I know stumbles on to it they won't automatically know it was me writing.

2. Cynthia Hoover profile image95
    Cynthia Hooverposted 19 months ago

I write for another website, and I do so anonymously in order to talk about abuse and other things that I have been through and that I may not want my friends and family to know, or comment about. It is difficult, it is almost like witness protection in a way. You have to separate yourself emotionally from what it is you are writing. Our emotional state comes across in our writing, and is often a dead giveaway as to who we are. Also choosing a name that has nothing to do with who you are, or the things you like or where you live in real life is key to protecting your actual identity for a situation like this. Avoid using any phrases or terms that you tend to use when interacting with friends and family ~ especially any cutesy things you or your family often use. As an example my family says 'Love you bunches' rather than the typical 'I love you'. Keeping to mainstream word usage, and avoiding any signature phrases or words will help you retain ambiguity.

I do find it helpful to have a friend or two that knows my anonymous identity. It is helpful to have at least one person that you can discuss it with, making it easier to keep the secret from others (even if it is just an online friend, and no one you interact with in person. Hope that helps, and have a great journey writing anonymously!

1. Misty May profile image82
      Misty Mayposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the advice. My main source of writers block is the fear that someone I know will be reading and judging the things I write. I love feedback and comments but prefer them to not come from those who are close to me.

2. Cynthia Hoover profile image95
      Cynthia Hooverposted 19 months agoin reply to this

I can definitely relate to that fear! I love comments and feedback but friends and family are usually extremely harsh, or to nice in their criticisms.

working