How Do I Write A Book?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

lol Don't worry. I'm not daft. I'm just wondering what the best way to go about writing a book is.

I've been wanting to write a book for awhile. I have the story in my mind, but I need some advice on how to go about actually doing it.

So... any advice for an aspiring author?

1. jenniferoutwater profile image58
      jenniferoutwaterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations for wanting to write.. it's a great outlet!  I have written two books so far and am working on my third.  For me it is best to just start writing then after a page or two stop and look at what you've read.  I'm always amazed at what happens when I don't over think the process.  Just follow your gut and write about something that feels natural to you.  Editing can be handled on the back end, although let me suggest a few things that will help save time in the preparing your book for print.

First think about what size book you wish to publish.  Hard back, soft back, 9 x 11, 6 x 8, ??? Then set your format before you start.  This will make the file easier to download to a publisher.  Also make sure to use proper page breaks at the end of each page.  If you can, set up an automatic spell check as you type and that will take some work off the editing.

These are just really basic things but they help... Good luck with your project!

2. dave272727 profile image59
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

Start with a beginning, then as the words start to come keep writing.  When you reach a stopping point, read back over what you have written.  Re-organize your thoughts.  Pretty soon you will have a pretty good sized document.  You can either edit as you go, or wait until you get done.

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
      Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So... just like writing a hub except longer. Cool, thanks smile

1. dave272727 profile image59
        dave272727posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Basically the idea.  Take a look at Dohn121's I, Fraternity.  Or my Escaping the Hunger.  I am sure there are other examples on the site, but those are two off the top of my head.

3. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

I generally reserve editing for after a first draft. Let it all ooze out onto the page first, then worry about organizing and cleaning it up...Of course, I'm sure every writer has his or her own way of doing it. I just usually like to get into the grip of the writing...and don't want concerns about commas to the get in the way! lol

4. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

For me, It all starts with one word. Doesn't matter what the word is, or even what it means. Just.. If i can find that one word That inspires me somehow, I use it. And i title my story that word.

From there, I just think about how that words means something, and How it will effect my characters...

Maybe I'm a dork ^^  idk.  That's just me though

5. Alessia Amnesia profile image60

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. I've been trying to start writing a book, but I get frustrated too easily. I once wrote about 70 pages, but deleted them all because I got frustrated with my own writing style. I guess what they say is true, you are your own worst critic. lol

Question about formatting: If I wanted my book to be in standard paperback style, what format would I use?

6. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

There are programs you can download to help too. I have one which helps to organize it - page four - it's free but there are others too with a price tag. big_smile I want to write one too just not sure on what though tongue lol

7. Alessia Amnesia profile image60

I'm downloading Page Four right now. Any help with organization is a great help to me. My inner ramblings now might make some sense lol

8. Alessia Amnesia profile image60

I'm liking this Page Four thing already.

9. Dame Scribe profile image56

I'm not quite sure on how to fully use it but I thought it was a great program to have for writing smile

10. Sa Toya profile image82
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

I'm writing a book as well right now...well not really I'm on hub a dub dub.

It is frustrating.

I find setting aside 2 hours everyday just for your book, that could be reading it over and writing.

Try reading books in the same genre to have a general idea on how the wording works if that makes sense?

Good Luck big_smile

11. sudamaprasad profile image60
    sudamaprasadposted 14 years ago

very nice

12. jellydonut25 profile image59
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

WRITE....A LOT...even when you don't know what to write on YOUR STORY...just WRITE something, anything, everything...get used to writing and the language you want to use. Writing is like a muscle, if you don't exercise it, it will get weak and will be harder to continue writing when an idea does eventually come

other than that, set clear, well-defined, attainable GOALS for your story. say, 10,000 words per day or something like that, and keep TRACK of how you do, this will motivate you to spend more time writing when you have the time available because you'll want to make sure you're at or near your goals all the time!

13. Dame Scribe profile image56

I would also recommend making a map smile have a centre bubble then let your ideas offshoot from there wink helps to create a flow and organize your thoughts. Should look almost like a spider lol lol

14. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

My best advice is to get a journal, write out all of the important facts like setting, time period, characters names and what you want them to look like. Once you have all of this down, sit and reread what you had written, then get either a notebook or get on your Microsft Word and just write. let it all flow from your imagination and onto the screen or paper.

And if you ever need any help, hit me up. always ready to help my fellow writers. smile

15. Alessia Amnesia profile image60

Okay, so I need some opinions on a character's name now. I keep changing it lol

The main character is going to start out as a normal teenage girl. Due to some bad luck, she winds up in a mental institution and you will follow her path to destruction in the book. Names I've been thinking: Calysta, Elizabeth, Lovina...

Anyone like those names or have some suggestions of their own?

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For names I have bought myself a baby name book. it's a great tool to have! has great names plus the meanings so if you want something specific there you go. smile

16. Alessia Amnesia profile image60

Maybe Annaliese?

17. Dame Scribe profile image56

Calysta is nice smile

18. apricot profile image65
    apricotposted 14 years ago

I can offer my humble advice - everyone has their own methods but this is what works for me.

Once you've drawn up a plan for your story (nothing too rigid because it usually changes as soon as pen hits paper or your fingers hit the keyboard) you're left with one simple thing to do - write.  If you really want to write a book you've got to sit down and write every day - as if it were a job and it helps if you treat it as such - give yourself set hours and try to show up to work on time!  Even if some days you spend more time finding the right words than writing just don't move from your desk (except perhaps for the loo)smile - the key is to be disciplined.  Write every day and try to avoid going back and making corrections as you go along - only when (some weeks, maybe months later) you've typed 'the end' you'll be ready for the rewrite. 
    By then you'll have your first draft but before you go back and rewrite you should get a bit of distance - perhaps a month or so.  And then the process starts all over again...
    Hope that helps!

19. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

focus on just one page at a time and let it take you where it needs to go.  big_smile

20. jellydonut25 profile image59
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

I always just open up the phone book and pick a random name...

unless of course i'm doing a setting-specific piece...like something down south, I doubt there'd be any "Shaunta"s or anything like that...

a character of mine hails from Louisiana and is named Beau...

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool I have a cousin named Beau big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)