Are you offended by having you words changed by HP to fit niche sites to where i

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 6 years ago

Are you offended by having you words changed by HP to fit niche sites to where it is unrecognizable?

Recently HP chose to re-write one of my hubs and it became unrecognizable as my own true story.  If my stories don't fit the niche sites why can't it be left out of the niche sites.

2. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

Shyron...My opinion is that it is unacceptable for HP to alter our hubs to the extent you mention.  Then again, what we think doesn't seem to matter much to them at all.  I'm offended by quite a few of their practices. Like I've said before, I've pretty much become more and more disillusioned here for several reasons & have chosen not to be as active as I once was.  Between the throngs of writers who have simply up & left HP and those like myself who have lost a lot of enthusiasm, it's obvious HP sees us us as "nobodies."  We are constantly asking "Why," & continually being .ignored.

Shyron E Shenkoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Paula, thanks for your comment. One would think HP would be a bit more considerate given the fact we make their money for them and they as you say see us as nobodies.
      I also resent the fact that the 2nd of the  "Good Word" hubs has disappeared.

2. Misfit Chick profile image75
      Misfit Chickposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ditto! I've been in the process of moving my hubs into blogs for months; but its such a tedius job. I will eventually finish. Every good suggestion I have made for this site has been ignored. They obviously have a wonky vision that isn't working.

3. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
    wrenchBiscuitposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13603022_f260.jpg

It's completely unethical. Changing the words as they were composed by the original author is fascist, even if it is just a matter of correcting typo's.

Thanks Ronnie for the comment.  I agree with you, they should point out any typo's and give the authors a chance to correct those typos.
      Blessings my friend

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image93
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 6 years ago

Yes i agree with you!
    I don't think the actual words of the author should be changed without permission. They should suggest or discuss with the author before making such changes. Here I am not talking about the punctuation or grammar part.
    But the ' your article has been snipped' does not sound pleasing at all.
    Writing is expressing in the author 's own words and a writer is bound to feel offended if that is changed.
    I do feel bad when it's done to my already good performing hubs. But I don't think the authors have any say as far as the niche sites are concerned.

Chitrangada, thank you for your answer, this is what I am talking about, I would rather it were kept out of the niche site and let the meaning of my words have their say.
      These people who snip our work, are they writers? I do not think so!

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years ago

When I was a newspaper editor, I checked with my reporter before I went to press with any changes I made to their work to ensure I hadn't changed the facts or the meaning of the article.  It's simple professional courtesy.

Add this act to the list of things I've come to resent about HP execs.

Dear Kathleen, thank you for answering this question. My editor was no as nice as you, she made changes or left typos with the (SIC) in some of my articles but that is for another day.
      I also have a list of grievances also.
      Blessings my friend

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
      Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A newspaper lady!  I knew I liked you!

6. Au fait profile image84
    Au faitposted 6 years ago

About 3 weeks ago one of the editors messed with one of my recipes.  S/he took part of the ingredients from the list of ingredients and included them in the 'directions' instead.  From what s/he did I can only think s/he had no idea of how to read a recipe much less write one.  I corrected it.

I have twice ignored the invitation to change a couple of my articles to suit them so that they may be moved to a niche.  I write all my articles the same so far as quality and technical info is concerned.  If some of them are good enough for niches, then I think all of them are good enough.  The only difference between them is the subject matter.

I really think anyone changing your work would have to be what I would call high-handed, especially without consulting you first.  I can understand correcting typos.  Any editor who finds one in my work is welcome to correct it if they can, and I would be so glad if any other hubber would inform me if they find one.  I am only to happy to fix it pronto.  However, sometimes it may not be a typo and the editor being uninformed about the subject may actually be damaging it.

Anyway, because you write poetry, I really think any changes editors would care to make should be brought to your attention first and only YOU should be the one to determine if a change is in order.  Poetry is an art and may encompass all manner of things that might not be appropriate in any other kind of writing, yet it is appropriate in poetry.  To change your wording or even your punctuation or any facet or your poems without your specific approval would be like taking one of Rembrandt's paintings and changing an object or a color here and there to suit the critic.  Messing with someone's creation is totally different from proof reading a letter or an article -- and they can sometimes get into plenty of trouble editing articles too, if they are unfamiliar with the subject matter.

There have been some changes made to several of my articles, but only the one on the recipe really met with my strong disapproval.  My articles are not creative art like yours are, and I think that makes a difference.

HP might do well to have specially trained editors (if they must have them at all) to work with poets on this site.  Poetry simply is not the same as an article about politics or a craft.  Note I said to work WITH poets, not to rush in like a bull in a china shop, but to first discuss, and agree with the poet on any changes before they are made.

7. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 6 years ago

It doesn't bother me but you have the option to change it or not by them.  I had a few featured on heal dove and I could sign in to that sight with my hubpages log in. They have many sights and on heal dove were all of my other hubs also. My question isif they are on other websites why is it taking so long to get enough views toget paid.

Cheryl, maybe you could ask that question.  My question is if they are on other websites why is it taking so long to get enough views to get paid?

8. bravewarrior profile image89
    bravewarriorposted 6 years ago

Are you saying they actually re-wrote one of your articles? Not just an edit here and there?

I've never heard of HP doing more that grammatical edits, tweaking titles and/or deleting Amazon capsules. They certainly haven't done it to me anyway.

If I were you, I'd put it back they way you originally wrote it, taking care to fix any grammatical errors, etc. and let the chips fall where they may. However, first I'd contact someone and ask them who authorized a complete re-write of your article.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Shyron....Sha has given you great advice.  I agree 100% and seriously feel you should do that.  I don't understand WHY they would do this and they do owe you an explanation!!

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image69

I rewrote the article and republished it and they dropped my Hubber score but nothing else.  There weren't any grammatical errors. They deleted words I used and added words I did not use.  We Children called my grandma "Mammaw" they changed to Mamma"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)