How publishamerica scammed me too

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Maggs3petts profile image58
    Maggs3pettsposted 13 years ago

I too have been a victim of PublishAmerica's scam and I live in Northern Ireland.  About five years ago I submitted a book I called, "From the shadows".  They contacted me and said they wanted to publish it but I would have to change the title.  They 'allowed' me to call it "Ma's Secret : From the Shadows'!  They sent it back for me to complete edits - most of them punctuation errors - however, when I checked out the punctuation it was fine.  As I have 'A' Level English -I knew my punctuation was correct.  In the meantime, I had completed a book of poems called, '70 over 40 @ 50'.  Again they wanted to publish it.  However, during this time I became very ill and asked them to put things on hold.  I heard no more from them until about 3 wks ago when this 'person' from publishamerica contacted me and said she was publishing my poems.  Now, having already been told by PA that they wouldn't publish the poems until the novel was released, I was a bit surprised.  I told her that the poems were only sent in draft form and they still needed a lot of work.  She informed me basically that that was too bad and they were being published, as is.  Eventually after a LOT of arguing I got her to agree to an extended deadline.  When I sent back the final version, via e-mail, I stated that I was surprised that they had changed their minds and were in fact publishing the poems before the novel.  I heard nothing for a while and then she came back and said they were publishing the novel, too.  Again, I strenuously objected on the grounds that it was only sent in draft and still needed a lot of work.  Finally, she agreed and gave me a deadline and then grudglingly extended it because the book actually had no ending in the version she had!  During the heated e-mail exchange I informed her that I felt if I sent her the Northern Ireland Telephone Book with my name as the author, PA would publish it!  She informed me that it was my responsibility to ensure that the book was ready for publication and that publisamerica DO NOT employ Editors!  So therefore the book had not been read by them, at all!  Unbelievable.  On Monday, 5th July I returned the final version. Tuesday, 6th, she sent it back in PDF format, ready to roll and stating that I needed to make any final changes. So I read through it and discovered that the changes I had previously made to this final version and re-emailed on 5th July with 246 pages, had disappeared.  So I spent 2 days working on it - right up until 5.30am on Thursday morn.  I re-emailed it to her and she kicked off again.  Claiming it wasn't the same version.  There had been 246 pages in the one I sent on 5th July and only 240 pages in this final version.  I tried to explain that firstly, some of the text needed to be changed because of the escalation in violence in Northern Ireland, over the recent months and since the book discussed some of the religous conflict here and terrorism I felt it necessary to delete what I now considered to be inappropriate data.  I also explained that off the 246 pages, 4 of them were blank and i had removed them so only two pages of writing had been deleted.  However, she has insisted that it will be published informing me last night that that.  I informed her that I had contacted a proper publishing house and that as yet hadn't heard from them.  She countered with the fact that I had a contract with PA and they would enforce it against me and the new publisher.  I told her that if she can find a court in the world who would deem my behaviour unreasonable when all I was trying to do was to (a) Tone down the violence; and, (b) produce a quality product - something which I realised would be somewhat of an alien concept for PA.  I told her to bring the court action.  She also stated that they would be watching to see if any part of the book was published by another publisher and then they would sue both the new publisher and myself.  So I told her bring it on.  Its my book I can do what I like with it.  Furthermore, if I change the title and my name how would they even find it?  As far as I was concerned PA couldn't find the street they lived on!  She then e-mailed me last night and stated that the book is being published ie: the 246 version with the 4 blank pages - and that is her final word on.  I went back to her and wrote a 2-page long e-mail telling her that if they go ahead then as fast as they are advertising it I will un-advertise it!  That is exactly what I intend to do.  Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    MC

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Get an attorney.

I'm far from anywhere near ready to publish a book, but it sounds like you got caught up with a Self-Publishing Agency and somehow may have a binding contract.  Seriously, get an attorney to help you.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are a vanity press and once you have signed the contract you are pretty much stuck with it.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.  thanks psycheskinner.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

I've only had a brief encounter with those particular puplishers.   They accepted a manuscript of mine, said they'd publish, and sent a contract.  I was, of course, tempted.  Then I gave a copy of the contract to a friend who is a lawyer.  "I'd advise against, it," I was told.  "It's all, and I mean all, in their favour."   I took my friends advice and told them, no.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)